VOSA and Clear diesel vis-a-vis red diesel

difflock

countryboy, the use of red doesnt bother me, if I'm doing forestry biased work, I run red, if not I run white, price jobs accordingly, not a problem, my gripe is the speed thing, If as a motorist you constantly ignored speed limits and ran 10-20mph over the limit, you wouldnt have a licence very long, but drive a big shiny tractor towing a massive big trailer, and nobody cares, just dont ask them to stop, I've seen to many accidents with big tractors, heavily loaded trailers and inexperienced college student drivers on a summer job, not to let up on this

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the subsidies u mention are from europe and the CAP and not from the taxpayer directly.

No derail intended but the UK contribution to the CAP comes out of VAT, so when I am at the builders merchants or off licence a small percentage of the VAT is subsidising farmers who all have newer pick ups and tractors than me but when I want to nip to the quarry and get some concrete dust for a landscaping job with the tractor and trailer its illegal but if I am a farmer and I want to put it in my gateways its legal to run on red?

Then to kick us in the teeth the farmer then claims VAT back on everything?!

Here here on a level playing field

Farmers are subsidised to keep food levels at a affordable price if it wasn't for subs we wouldn't be able to produce at current prices. Inputs are high and returns not great the subs help us keep you all fed. U may moan about us getting subsidised but you would moan far more if your food bill doubled overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Red diesels a funny one. Contractor nr us bales a lot of silage for farmers hes fine on red yet when he bales haylage on a equine place he should be on white. Fencing for a farmer red in tractor, fencing for a horsey people white its a nightmare best of avoiding vosa hotspots.

Farmers are subsidised to keep food levels at a affordable price if it wasn't for subs we wouldn't be able to produce at current prices. Inputs are high and returns not great the subs help us keep you all fed. U may moan about us getting subsidised but you would moan far more if your food bill doubled overnight.

I appreciate that farmers put food on our tables but what I don't appreciate is then constantly feeling that they are hard done by given that they get all sorts of tax relief ie the red derv, business rate relief, VAT exemption etc. I have to put food on my families' table without such relief so don't get to drive around on brand new machinery.

I could ramble on for hours about the fact that you will never find a poor farmer

So agrimog ur problem is nothing to do with red deseil at all then?

U are quite right about the size and speed of tractors/trailers thou.

Althou young boys have been driving them too fast since they were first invented.

I mind s a boy 20 years ago for punishment/losing stupid bets games driving tractors down to York and Leeds from Dumfries on a sunday loaded up to gunnels with fencing gear and equipment.

But ur right tractors were only doing 18mph so even with no trailer brakes generally had time to stop

Ur quite right i know the subsidies are paid for by someone but we would be paying the same money to EU anyway would rather they squandered it on farmers than there fancy meals and limo's in brussels.

At least any money coming into farms generally will get shared out amoung rural communities, agri dealers, garages, local trades etc.

U say u never see a poor farmer, possibly fair enough depeding wot part of the country ur in,(i know and work for quite a few poor ones, and some of them have fancy cars too all owned by the bank)

But how many poor factory/business owners do u see?

If they own a factory/business worth a few million quid they will/should be making a tidy profit, yet most farmers be lucky to be making a few % profit from there farm, many farmers would be better of selling up and living of the investments.

[quote name=countrryboy;

Ur quite right i know the subsidies are paid for by someone but we would be paying the same money to EU anyway would rather they squandered it on farmers than there fancy meals and limo's in brussels.

At least any money coming into farms generally will get shared out amoung rural communities' date=' agri dealers, garages, local trades etc.

.[/quote]

I'd never have a go a bloke who works hard to make a shilling and pay his way, that's not my point. The thing here though, is that many of the subsidies don't actually go to the bloke doing the work, they go to the land owner which does absolutely nothing to reduce product price or support agricultural output. This whole "you owe us, we grow your food" argument is horse ****, it doesn't stack up. Where do you think EU subsidy comes from? UK taxpayer. Here's the thing, people are generally sick of EU bureaucracy, there will be a referendum and if we leave, the subsidies will stop. There would be no way the British public would support taxpayers dollar being allocated to subsidies in the same degree if they knew what they were paying, it's all just "hidden" in EU red tape.

Level playing field on tractors, width limit supposed to be 2.45 mtrs until 21yrs of age i.e cheap haulage labour.

Illegal to tow behind telehandler on highway. Also carrying goods on front.

cpc course.

Tachographs. Drivers hours/ working hours.

MOT. 6 weekly inspections.

O licence.

Trucks speed limit on single carriageways 40mph!

Trucks authorities and public number one hated road users despite low incident levels.

Yes it will soon be unstrapped bale confetti season for farmers.

No wonder hauliers/drivers get narked.

Tax benefits, grants, subsidies. etc

A level playing field would be uproar. Its highly unlikely to happen.