Arb Trolley worth it or not!

mad matty

I have finally bought one of these on the back of a return visit to a previous customer with a horrible sloping limited access garden. We worked there 4 or 5 years ago and I vowed that if we ever went back I would invest in a trolley to make the extraction easier!

Having never seen one up close in the flesh I have to admit to being rather disappointed in the quality/finish of the product when it was delivered from Jonesey. This isn't a cheap product, but I do understand the reasoning for the pricing as explained succinctly in an earlier post by RCO. However, the fact is that it carries a heavyweight price-tag for what is in effect a few sections of steel profile and a couple of wheels/tyres. As a result of the price I expected a well manufactured, nicely finished product but the reality is quite different unfortunately. The bolsters haven't even been cleaned up after cutting to length, the telescoping section is extremely loose in its socket, the paint/powdercoat finish is very poor, and the welding looks amateurish to say the least.

In fairness, none of this affects the way the trolley works. It is a well thought out, strong design and saved us a good deal of time dismantling and removing a mature Alder and clearing up various other pruning works. Now we have it I'm sure it will be put to use fairly regularly on other jobs, and it looks as though it will last for a while.

I have a couple of Stein bollards which are very well manufactured bits of kit - I can't help but feel that the manufacture/finish of the ArbTrolley lets it down in quite a big way (if I had seen one in the flesh before hand I would not have spent the money on it rightly or wrongly). But it does work!

Sorry to read all that mate. Do you have any photos of the poor powdercoating before you used it? The bad welds ?

Personally, if I was as unhappy as youve just described on delivery Id have told them to take it back. Why didnt you do that ?

Sorry to read all that mate. Do you have any photos of the poor powdercoating before you used it? The bad welds ?

Personally, if I was as unhappy as youve just described on delivery Id have told them to take it back. Why didnt you do that ?

I needed it for a job the following day, and I assumed that is how they come as I've never seen one up close before. It does work well, just doesn't look very well finished at all. I'll have a look at one at the APF to see how mine compares.

I had one and I never had an issue with the build quality which I found spot on. My problem was that I never used it. I can recall it being used on 2 or jobs and that's it. The groundy that works for me preferred to drag the brash and put straight int chipper rather than load trolly, move trolly and them unload trolly. Each to their own though.

Hodge

I know your Groundy Hodge and he IS a machine....but in defence of the A.T which I have used many times the weight it can carry allows (in the case of conifer etc..) several journeys in one single journey with relative ease. As for logs...it free's up the rest of the crew. One man can shift huge logs! It is an essential part of the day's kit.

if you load the chipper straight from the trolley we found that you get less stones getting into the chipper and less crap falls onto customers gardens

HI BREEZE nice one thats why arb talk so good:thumbup1: picking up tips all time:thumbup1: saves the chipper too :thumbup1:thanks i think them arb trolley are great save time and your back then it has to be good the arb trolley price less then the price of a small saw :thumbup1:thanks jon :thumbup:

if you load the chipper straight from the trolley we found that you get less stones getting into the chipper and less crap falls onto customers gardens

And if you feed the chipper from the Arb Trolley you don't need to bend down to pick it up off the floor, saves your back ... and it stops your chipper overheating as you only put a bit of conifer in at a time

on some jobs we find that you can move stuff that quick especially large conifer clear outs that we could do with 2 trolleys if you do domestic tree work the arb trolley is a no brainer it is a great piece of kit but has its limitations especially going up steps loaded

on some jobs we find that you can move stuff that quick especially large conifer clear outs that we could do with 2 trolleys if you do domestic tree work the arb trolley is a no brainer it is a great piece of kit but has its limitations especially going up steps loaded

Or going down steps loaded, smashed a slab once with the bum of it.