newbies ; top 10 do's and don'ts

bythamboy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As in another thread - do your best not to feed tools through the chipper. They tend to work better, having not tested the strength of rotating blades.

If you notice someone's in a danger zone/about to get clobbered. Alert them to their impending demise. It's good if you get to go home safe. It's better, if everyone gets to go home safe.

Big fat disclaimer...

a) I don't do this as a pro, just fell and process small amounts for my own consumption so a lot of this is generic and applies to all professions

b) I only suggest some of these things because I probably didn't at some stage so that makes me a muppet not a hypocrite ;)

DO:

• Quite surprised that only one post so far mentions the word customer. They are the reason you are there... so meet or surpass their expectations, or if you can't then manage their expectations... or don't take the job. I nearly screeched to a halt in Wiltshire last year when I saw a quad following a tractor cutting hedges. He had a long reach hedge trimmer and was going around the tufty bits round the lamp posts the flail couldn't reach. I almost died. If it had been safe to stop I'd have shaken his hand! :thumbup:

• Work safe, then safe and efficient, then safe and efficient and faster in that order.

• Look after your tools. Clean them, sharpen them, kiss them, suck up the ridicule and then laugh when everyone else's blows up :laugh1:

• Be humble. People who consider themselves 'all learnt up' are dangerous.

DON'T:

• Close your mind. No one knows everything.
  • Take your people for granted - you sweated and ummed and aahhed before selecting them and employing them so trust your own judgement and let them contribute.
  • Put off the inevitable - change the oil, sharpen the blades, do all your chains, fix the things in the maintenance book... keep a maintenance book!.... even if it costs half a day... it will pay back
  • Take shortcuts, they never work out in the long run... if not on that occasion then on the next when you think you're good.

Don't put saws/blowers/hedgetrimmers in front of chipper/van wheels to 'keep them out the way'

Be busy. There is always something to do.

Shut the bloody van doors when you get out!

Have fun and learn something new every day.

Sent from my HTC One using Arbtalk mobile app

If a saw is cutting its Farley obvious some some thing will be coming out the tree pretty soon ... This particularly applies when your climber is using a big saw... Look up and access and stay out the drop zone if there's any risk!

Don't stack brash in rows that overlap the nearest to the chipper so it makes it a pita to chip with out a vast effort of pulling out branches from each other.

Keep checking the climbers rope for fallen debris.

Try not to drag brash bundles facing down the side of newly painted houses and walls.

If snedding out big lowered lumps make your cuts count so you don't have to pick up a saw by the chipper because there is a 9" peg off a branch union jamming the rollers.

Listen watch and learn and stay aware as every job and situation is different and it makes the day go quicker than staring at your mobile texting all day.

Don't spill your climbers pint whilst taking it to the beer garden at the end of the day.. Try and have a talk about how the team operated and any issues you have.... Enjoy a job welldone.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Your lid will have ear muffs, use them. You only have one pair of ears and they have to last you a lifetime.

You only have one pair of eyes too. Lower your visor and or use safety glasses when cutting or are near someone else who's cutting.

If someone asks you to do a final check before leaving site. You will need that: chainsaw, rope, winch, gloves, etc. tomorrow. So don't assume someone else will pack it away.

Learn how to 'accurately' mix fuel. Seizure is not funny and neither is having to do a mini service, every time the tank is throwing too much oil into the pot.

If you're responsible for servicing a saw/other equipment. Make sure you have had enough training to do it properly. Don't be tempted to bluff your way through having done routine maintenance. If it hasn't been done or done badly, someone will find out sooner rather than later.

If the top cover is off for whatever reason, clean the air filter. You work better when you can breath easily. It's the same with a saw or the like.