How many tree have you planted

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some big numbers there.

I'd put my measly effort at around 12. I would love to get hold of some land 10+ acres and plant it up as a woodland, coppice some of it and maintain the rest as standards the sooner the better as it'd be nice to enjoy with my future grandkids. With 35 years till retirement age it should be of a reasonable size to potter around in and make some tree houses etc

Some big numbers there.

I'd put my measly effort at around 12. I would love to get hold of some land 10+ acres and plant it up as a woodland, coppice some of it and maintain the rest as standards the sooner the better as it'd be nice to enjoy with my future grandkids. With 35 years till retirement age it should be of a reasonable size to potter around in and make some tree houses etc

In the same boat, had a field to start planting but unfortunately the horses had to go in it and ate all the saplings. So I end up planting them in FC land after a clear fell.

Would like to join a charity group for growing and planting trees if anyone has any ideas?

Most of the felling I do now is Western Hemlock etc removal on ex commission plantations that have been bought up by The Woodland Trust to favour the hardwoods. That, mixed with lots of coppice rotation.

Used to a lot of mass planting when I was up North 10's of thousands each Winter, not been doing that for a while.

The only planting I do lots of now is experimental crops and specimen stuff at the National Pinetum.

We plant around 250000 per season from November till April, hard work in all weather but i still enjoy it after 9 years. Something about the fact it is just you and a spade so not much to go wrong helps!

Would like to join a charity group for growing and planting trees if anyone has any ideas?

There's a charity called "Trees for Life", they run weeks in the Scottish Highlands where you plant trees to re establish the Caledonia pine forests.

I've planted about 8,000 trees :) it's magic seeing how well the are growing, the biggest ones are over 30 foot high :001_smile:

My wife & I have managed 400 each year we have occupied our little plot. So roughly 1600 so far and I think we're about half way. This winter we only planted for colour and shape (Repton style)

In my past forestry life I planted thousands as a young fellow (forty years ago) and they are now the perfect size for mechanical harvesting.

I still like stealth planting unusual specimens, a couple of Sequoia in a softwood stand....Wild Service in a hardwood stand and the odd fern leaved beech too.

I'm attempting to grow Douglas here in small blocks, they're all still alive so far....

East Anglia needs more trees as the farming community are not great tree lovers! Some farm planting has been done, by more enlightened souls, but in my opinion not nearly enough.

codlasher

Bought 10 acres last year and have planted 1,500 trees, plus a few hundred willow rods and 150 hawthorn in a hedge. Added to the many oaks, birch & willow that have self seeded (although I did throw buckets of acorns about) I'd say at least 2,000

Although I did initially want complete coverage, quite glad I didn't plant to capacity as there are other species I want to introduce that I didn't know about a few months ago. Hoping to plant a few hundred this Winter, mainly chestnut