Fumes and nausea

Stephen Blair

Why?

A 5 litre can here costs about £16-18 or £3.20-£3.60 per liter

A 25 liter can £65, or £2.60 per liter

Here's the question Eddie - we pay individually up to £18.90 per 5 litres, so accounting for the cost increase over here (given Josh's upper figure of £18) will a 25 litre can be in the region of £70?

Cheers,

Chris

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the question Eddie - we pay individually up to £18.90 per 5 litres, so accounting for the cost increase over here (given Josh's upper figure of £18) will a 25 litre can be in the region of £70?

Cheers,

Chris

I think a lot more people would buy it if it was about twice the normal pump price,ie:

For 25 litres:

standard forecourt price @£1.30 litre = total £32.50

Aspen dealer price @£3.78 litre = total £94.50

At the moment Aspen is nearly 3 times more expensive (when ordered in smaller quantities), that's pretty steep by my estimation. Cheers, steve

Cheers Shavey.

It was a pleasure to meet you, and to find that we have met before in my Terravac days.

Be sure to post your experience of Aspen.

Barrie

i will put the aspen in the two new dolmar's and the tanaka combi and give it a go i will let know you next week :thumbup::thumbup:

i think that terravac we had from you is what put me off from liking the kohler engine

i will put the aspen in the two new dolmar's and the tanaka combi and give it a go i will let know you next week :thumbup::thumbup:

i think that terravac we had from you is what put me off from liking the kohler engine

It was a long time ago and my memory fades, but I recall the Terravac normally had a Briggs Vanguard. maybe there was a shortage or something at the time.

But I agree, the Kohler is not a brilliant engine.

I think a lot more people would buy it if it was about twice the normal pump price,ie:

For 25 litres:

At the moment Aspen is nearly 3 times more expensive (when ordered in smaller quantities), that's pretty steep by my estimation. Cheers, steve

Don't forget if you use Aspen for work and so large volumes your dealer may give you a discount and once you get to 270 litres the fuel is free shipping to your site.

Getting the Road Fuel Tax of 57.93p per litre will make a big difference but because Aspen costs more to make it will never cost the same as pump fuel.

Please get friends and family to sign up and get this unfair Road Tax removed from off road fuels.

Edited by Eddie@aspen

For 25 litres:

Not including postage or trip/s to your local shop to pick up enough 2-stroke oil to make 25Ltrs. of premix; and if you only use the standard red Stihl not HP Super or HP Ultra or Husky LS, you can add at least 8.2p per litre of premixed fuel.

Add to that saw manufacturers recommend a 98 octane fuel for mixing and considering the national average price for 98' at the pumps at the moment, is 138.86p per litre. Now add 8.2p of oil per litre and an average litre of premix is 147.06p x 25 = £36.765.

Oil price derived from price of red Stihl 10L £41.00inc. VAT but not del. from FR Jones on 21.06.14.

For a truer final cost for normal premix. You'd have to factor in how much fuel your vehicle would use to and fro the petrol station to collect 25Ltrs. of fuel; and add the general running costs by vehicle per mile; and add your hourly pay rate to collect 25Ltrs. of petrol; and add your hourly pay rate to mix five times 5Ltrs.; and maybe add the extra hourly pay rate for having to shake your premix combi can at the start of each day.

Compare all that to making a phone call, having Aspen2 delivered to your door, knowing the stuff will remain stable for the duration and not having to worry about an inattentive groundie getting the wrong premix ratio. Now consider both the health & environmental benefits of using Aspen fuels... and the deal doesn't seem that bad.

Edited by TGB

I appreciate the effort going in to the number crunching but if the issue is cost than the answer is simply: aspen is much more expensive, and no amount of calculating seconds/day spent more or less etc will change that.

It isn't just about cost though and that is why (for me) cost is acceptable. I run all my saws on Aspen, from ms180 to ms880.

Just as a fun fact to ponder: in the Netherlands an employer that requires an employee to use 2-stroke machinery must run it on aspen/motomix/other alkylate fuel, as exposing your employees to the amount of toxins found in pump petrol whilst there are (much) less harmful alternatives contravenes h&s laws.

Its more like ppe, about protecting yourself and your employees from harm where it is possible to do so.

Do you use a saw in shorts because they are cheaper then stretch airs?