Stihl ms261

wood cutter

We have 2 261's on the shelf that after 2 years need new cranks, we had massive problems with needle bearings melting, 1 a week, and wearing the clutch drum causing the saw to stall with the break on.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying Stihl is the only one in the club but they have rather excelled at the 'Microsoft' release method.

Manager: When is the new model going to be ready for rollout?

Engineer: Well there are still major issues, the software won't be debugged for another 8mths. and 'that problem' is still unsolved. I can't yet give a realistic date.

Manager: Good. Good. So we're still on for the big release next week.

Maybe there testing is to start it up and let it idle for 5 minutes, rev it up a few times and then cut through a small log.

I love my 261. It has a fairly hard life and its a beast!

Have a go with other 50cc saws and you will see how poor they really are and thats when they work, mine has been "fixed" twice and the engine still cuts out when you put the chain brake on!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to restart an old thread but didn't think a whole new thread was necessary for my question.

Having problems with my 261,

- occasional screeching noise on start up, noticed had worn through the oil pump worm, had it replaced.

- one days work, it had started to wear through again with same noise. Noticed play in the clutch drum.

- sent it to a dealer (not the one a bought it from cos I have moved from the area) they seemed pretty useless and are simply 'giving it a try' with a new needle bearing.

Do people think this will solve the issue? Just want to have it fixed rather than replacing individual parts and giving it a go. Do people have issues getting saws fixed from dealers that they did not buy the saw from?

Just bought a 560xp simply because I need a second saw with the time the 261 has spent out of action. Although don't think I will be disappointed with it.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Sorry to restart an old thread but didn't think a whole new thread was necessary for my question.

Having problems with my 261,

- occasional screeching noise on start up, noticed had worn through the oil pump worm, had it replaced.

- one days work, it had started to wear through again with same noise. Noticed play in the clutch drum.

- sent it to a dealer (not the one a bought it from cos I have moved from the area) they seemed pretty useless and are simply 'giving it a try' with a new needle bearing.

Do people think this will solve the issue? Just want to have it fixed rather than replacing individual parts and giving it a go. Do people have issues getting saws fixed from dealers that they did not buy the saw from?

Just bought a 560xp simply because I need a second saw with the time the 261 has spent out of action. Although don't think I will be disappointed with it.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The issue is with the fibre glass in the clutch needle roller bearing breaking down, making the clutch drum loose which then wears through the oiler arm.

I don't know what the ultimate route cause is but would try to find a steel caged needle roller bearing of the same size which I believe will last longer especially if it is lubricated regularly.

If the clutch drum is still loose with a new bearing, the drum may need replacement as well.

I've got 2x 261-CM Only run on Aspen2. starts first time, runs great. Never had any problems in nearly a year. Loads of power a great successor to the original 026 from the nineties.

Sent from my iPad protected by bombproof Lifeproof Case