Unusual Blocking Technique

scotspine1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i do that i use the saw the other way round (makes no odds though),on big stuff i angle my cut slightly down so it slides off easier and really big stuff i put a plastic wedge in on a short cord to my harness so there is less chance of the saw getting wedged before iv'e cut right through.

Looks like a very productive climber to me,do you know him or is it you?:001_smile:

cutting right through like that is o.k on small diameter wood or soft woods, you do have to be carefull that the chain does'nt push it off.

The saw being used is besides the point could of been any number of reason for the big saw/bar being used.

The technique looked like it was employed well to me, I used to do it a lot but have been put off since nearly losing a chog by the chain pushing it off, or being to greedy and getting my saw pinched. Just felt it was being lazy.

Now prefer the control of a step cut and you can do it in a similar way to that by leaving the saw in the cut like a few others have mentioned.

What an utterly pointless technique.

If he took lumps twice as big he could still chuck them where he wanted and do half the cutting. Faster, safer.

Puff.

Sometimes doing it in those small sized chogs is good for the job and the groundcrew, the bits are managable so they can get them straight on the truck, the saw dust is broadcast further so less tidying up than if you ring'd it on the ground etc.

Those smaller pieces are easier to push off and the technique of leaving it in the cut means he is being fairly effcient, so the fact he is making twice the cuts is besides the point

Its all job and team dependent though.

I see the point of this, keeping the weight of the saw off your harness and not having to lift it up into cutting position is more ergonomic. I'll give it a go, but I'd do a step cut or a diagonal step cut on the first piece before I do the second cut - safer if a bit slower. Nice post mate!

The whole point of it is not to have to put the saw down inbetween, there's not need to go that fast or to cut that far through, just to cut enough to hold the saw while you shove the top peice off.

Save putting the saw down and lifting it up continuously, there's only a minute amount of time that you are taking the full weight of the saw.

Very good technique badly demonstrated

Not doubting this fella's skill, it's a polished performance alright.

Just think it may set a bad example to the inexperienced - there is potential for mayhem doing this.

I've tried all kinds of experimental stuff when chogging down, but always revert back to nice controlled step with the biggest chunk I can comfortably handle.

Good, interesting post though.