Semi pro saw choice

StuartM

Doobin, looking at it I'd agree that missing the MS 251 off the list was a mistake especially as we currently use a 250 for the firewood at the moment.

The comment in the original post about needing more that one saw was a bit tongue in cheek but is probably true as I can see the requirements as somewhat mutually exclusive. Perhaps borrowing my mate and his large Husky is the best option for when we get stuff that is too big for us to handle.

Hedgesparrow, I've seen the name Mitox on here but not paid a massive amount of attention until now. Looks like my local dealer supplies them too so could be worth a look.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read every thing so far ( including my first post ) and think ....365 (grind out the transfer baffles at your leisure to make it into a 372 ) and have a selection of bars and chains to suit your requirements .

I use alsorts of saws. If just picking one for day of light felling/nature reserve stuff I would nearly always take my husky 550. With a sharp chain it will cope with occasional bigger stuff and it is light for using all day. I currently use a 13inch bar on it. With reduction cuts its pretty impressive what it rings up. I also have a 560 with an 18 inch bar but often don't bother swapping unless there is a fair bit to do. I actually think the pro level saws husky or styihl are good value. In the long term you'll spend more on chains, bars, fuel etc. Only downside of the huskys In my experience is they are a bit more temperamental to start. Apart from that I prefer em. Good luck it comes down to budget and personal preference in the end. Also good to have a local quality dealer.

What a great post and echos one that i was getting round to doing. Ive been considering the echo 450 as like you im more than an occasional user but not a pro like most of these guys. Plus a 5 year warranty makes it a safe bet. Was also considering the stihl 250 i think

Hi,

Your use looks similar to mine, I have an MS250 (251 is the later model) with a 14" bar & really good, mines stood up to a fair amount of use and it certainly cuts well. OK, so it doesnt have the alloy body of the 261 & to avoid bearing problems, I change the needle bearing annually they cost a few quid & grease it about every 50 hrs use.

For bigger wood, I have a 365xp with 20" bar, it flies through the larger stuff, yes it is a tad heavy but you soon get used to it so depending on physique you may not want to be using it all day, but it certainly is good to use, perhaps you may get a good S/H one as the model has been around for a while. Several people advised 365xp when I needed larger saw & good to see people continuing to recommend it.

Other than that a 550xp is a nice saw which may eventually replace the 250 one day.

N

Edited by NFG