While your here!

humpo48

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A builder told me once always be carful of while your here jobs. It was a Friday finished the job and the client asked him to put up a blind in the house. So he agreed used the clients step ladder and as he was putting up the blind the ladder collapsed, he fell and broke his angle badly. He was off work for weeks because of that.

Builder in the village did house up for teacher

She kept changing the job

Added up to over £10k

She refused to pay, went to court, she won

Nearly broke builder

He should have sent new estimate every time he asked for new work

Always have a change work order signed off by client and contractor.

I have seen the same thing occur here with many different contractors. On many occasions contractors have gone under because clients would take advantage of the contractors ignorance of the law and the clients knowledge of same law.:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

When they say 'can you just' i generally stop what ime doing and go and have a close look at what they're talking about,taking them with me.

Ime working out a price in my head all the time,and when ive had a good look say something like 'yes,thats not a problem,that'll only be another £20 or £50 or £100' or whatever,that way theres no room for any misunderstandings.

Unless you have the original quote written down and signed by both parties, it will end in aggro. Both you and the customer are being underhand there.

I don't see how I'm being underhand, the customer knows exactly what we agreed. :)

As it turned out, I had a chat with him and told him I wouldn't be able to fit any of the "extras" in today as the job had run over. He went quiet for a couple if seconds and said no worries.

the extras he added would have been another 2 hours work.

I have been in business a long time now and I have never once used a contract. If you have to get domestic customers to sign contracts then that to me advertises distrust.

Of the thousands of customers I have dealt with over the years I have had serious problems with only one

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Arbtalk mobile app

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

Always come across as enthusiastic to do the extras and say it's no problem at all ill get it sorted for them , then add ow befor I start that do you require it itemising separately on the invoice or a separate invoice for the extra work all the while smiling, normally gets the point across.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I confirm before the start of the jobs and make sure that they know extra works are happily quoted for. Been stung once for it before by doing extra bits so now I'm more vigilant. Worst I had was trying to do a reduction and customer kept wanting bit more off after ropes had been pulled out the tree. So lost nearly a day extra. Real PITA but not happened since. Tree has since not come back as intended. 'Customers always right!'...