Daft stuff you did as kids

ArthurBottlesworth

I was brought up on a farm in the middle of nowhere so to speak.

The local village was several miles away etc so lived a bit of a billy no mates life out of school hours so from an early age of about 8 was stuck on a tractor and from about 11 given a 12 bore to go out and shoot. Best days of my life tho never felt it at the time, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Was still in the days of the local beat bobby and the amount of times he saw me driving tractors on the road towing a trailer load of 200 small bales or 8 ton of grain barely old enough to reach the pedals.... He would just stick his hand up!! He would regularly pop in the farm for his "hideaway" for a cuppa and slice of homemade cake, even if no one was in! Oh how time has changed.

As for the guns I found a hotspot once for rooks after silaging. They would come in landing on the phone line before pitching on the field. Was great fun shooting them off the line. That was until it rained a few days later and the villages phonelines started to play up and the fault was found to be lots of small holes in the lines insulation that let water in........kept my mouth shut on that one but father instantly knew and got a clip around the ear for should of known better

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was living on an army barracks in rural North London as a kid, my little gang thought that breaking in to the old disused underground arms silo would be a hoot.

The only way in was through a padlocked vent in the ceiling, we somehow managed to smash the lock and got the metal cover lifted between us.

Only way down was to abseil (I say abseil in the loosest of terms, think it comprised of a length of washing line) about 20ft to the floor below. Apart from the day light above it was pitch dark as there was no power running through the 1940's light circuit.

We were absolutely bricking it :biggrin:

Sadly (more like fortunately) there were no old munitions down there so we decided to go back up.

After the majority of us had clambered back up, the most mischievous of the group decided it would be great to pull the line up before the last 2 could get up and ran off with it laughing his head off.

When my own tears of laughter ran dry I suddenly realised what trouble we were going to be in and stood there just thinking about the sh....agro we had just brought down on ourselves.

The two down in the bunker were starting to get really worried until I reluctantly decided to go fob us in and get help.

Garrison guards came with a ladder and got the lads up.

Suffice to say, the worst part of it was not the rollicking we got from those guys (which was pretty bad) but the one I got from my dad after he and the other dads had to go see the barracks Commander. :blushing:

I picked up my dads spade when i was a boy and he said since ya holding it ya might as well dig with it... I dug... a lot.

When I was older, and considered responsible, I picked up my dads chainsaw, needless to say he said since ya holding it ya might as well use it ... i logged up... a lot.

Now I'm the one working and he's retired I bring home lots of wood from jobs and unload it, whilst unloading the other day he said since ya holding it ya might as well process it... somethings never change........ :lol:

One of my mates managed to get hold of a load of blanks from an army range some how, not sure what they were for but they were finger sized and on a belt the kind you see worn over the shoulder in the films, we contemplated hitting them with a hammer but as this was obviously a Bad idea we decided to get the hacksaw out to get at the powder inside.

After several minutes we were bored and decided it was time to get the matches out the result being one finger with a flap of skin hanging off, tittinus and gunpowder burns.

Probably not too bad really.

When I was small , in infants school , I thought it would be a spiffing wheeze to put drawing pin on Eddie Belsie's chair . The usual result .... Teacher said who did that . I came clean . She said if you are going to mess about you may as well not be here . I took her at her word and snuck out spending the rest of the day meandering along the river Lavant eventually returning home at the usual time totally unaware of the worry and torment I had caused for the teacher and eventually my parents and local police .

In the village I grew up in, we had a timber and asbestos transport cafe, until it became unable to cope with food standards and got shut. Rather than get it professionally dismantled, it was burned down - and after the flames had died down, my mates and I went for a look. For some reason, I decided it'd be a good idea to jump into the embers and stand on one of the brick pillars that had held the floor of the cafe up. Unsurprisingly, after a few seconds it felt very hot but I got out without injury.

At other points in my youth, we also experimented with Molotov cocktails, tied fireworks together and found out that if you let a rocket off downwards into a pond, it makes a really satisfying "crump" noise like the sound effects of depth charges in a war film...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As soon as bangers were on sale it was time to make cannons. A metal tube about an inch diameter was flattened at the end just leaving enough room to insert a banger fuse. Fix it to a block of wood with big staples and charge it with the contents of a few penny bangers. The usual load was a nut and bolt with some packing around it to get a good seal. That was enough to go through a few shed walls. The biggest ever load was a cold chisel. That went through a cricket pavilion and 100 yards down the field.

As soon as bangers were on sale it was time to make cannons. A metal tube about an inch diameter was flattened at the end just leaving enough room to insert a banger fuse. Fix it to a block of wood with big staples and charge it with the contents of a few penny bangers. The usual load was a nut and bolt with some packing around it to get a good seal. That was enough to go through a few shed walls. The biggest ever load was a cold chisel. That went through a cricket pavilion and 100 yards down the field.

Bugger we did the same ! Filled ours with split shot fishing weights ....:biggrin: