your thoughts on charcoal production...?

clueless

Hi Guys

I would be interested to hear peoples opinions on charcoal making as its something that doesnt seem to get very good 'reviews' especially from a commercial point of view. I note a lot of the time that 'normal' firewood production seems to be favoured over charcoal production. why is this?

Is anybody making charcoal commercially or has anybody tried it and moved on? Please let me know your experiences.

the reason i ask is because we were/are producing a lot of thin stuff from thinning out and entering a management phase of our woodland after it had been neglected for a number of years. we do not have a chipper and felt that charcoal production would be a way of adding value to and using these small ends that are too small for firewood.

We had a go with a retort kiln over last summer but found this difficult to manage with a lack of heavy machinery (kiln was stillage orientated). we are now producing small batches of product using oil drums which whilst we know isnt as productive as say a ring kiln but it is allowing us to start small and perhaps understand the process a bit better before hopefully upgrading, if we can see that it makes commercial sense. as a side note one of the main advantages for us of using oil drums is that we can do a burn and bag the product over the same weekend which i belive would take 2.5 days with a ring kiln.

i would also been very keen to know if there is anybody producing using a ring kiln in south wales that would be willing to share some knowledge in person in exchange for some graft?

cheers for the replies in advance

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon that we should all be doing more of this sort of thing, although i recognise it isnt possible. UK produced lumpwood charcoal commands a good price:001_smile:, and doesn't mean the mangroves get cut down. The tsunamai in ache a couple of years back would have been far less devasatating if the mangroves were still present.:thumbdown:

The more charcoal produced in this country the better. The UK imports about 90% of its charcoal. I went on a charcoal course at Bodfari in North Wales - they sell to B&Q - where they have 3 ring kilns on the go at any one time

Converting small timber and branchwood into charcoal is a fantastic thing to do

We currently use a couple of oil drums but would love to invest in ring kiln in the near future. British lumpwood charcoal is far superior to any imported stuff and goes a long way to promoting traditional woodland management - go for it and good luck

Hi clueless, we done some work the other day for a guy who has a large charcoal burner,hes a very helpful guy,ill ask him if he can give you some advice, hes in Llanelli area, ill speak to him and PM you his number

Clueless, I've had a bit experience charcoal burning with ring kilns (see Pics in albums). We have 2 ring kilns between 6-8ft diameter, The burns that we have done are mainly out of sweet chestnut which burns very hot a local blacksmith buys some off us.

It's all down to advertising it properly as local british charcoal, IMO and ive compared a few other of the imported charcoals British charcoal is far more superior than the imported shite you get at garages. There's less smoke, ready to cook on in 10-15 mins, No fire lighters Needed, no additives and all from a sustainable source.

At the moment we sell at shows, B&Q have shown intrest but were know where near that big at the moment. We also put smaller bits of wood in a tin and add it to the burn for drawing charcoal.

Just abit of advice in a ring kiln leave it as long as possible ours are left for at least a week to 10 days to cool down, have known people to open it after five days and its still been hot in the middle and its relighted without them knowing and when they have opened it again there was just dust.

But even the dust is good for the garden:001_smile:

Hope this helps if you need anymore info just ask

Ian

i think its all about your market.

tesco sell imported for £2, i sold some stuff from a woodland i monmouth for £4.5 and people always went for the tesco stuff as it was cheaper.

went to a mates bbq and took the British stuff and what a difference when the 2 were compared. ours is great

good luck on the oil barrel way, was'nt my cup of tea

the preference for me on the firewood was..... you cut the wood and season it for a bit (firewood) then chuck in a kiln, burn it, sieve it, bag it, then its charcoal!!!!

i took the less work more profit route IMO.

good luck though, you sound like a man with a plan there

Ian - thanks for that document, its kind of an expanded version of something I've already got but now in a lot more detail.

Firewood man - note quite sure what you mean - you mean you think doing it in a ring kiln is the less work option? not getting on with oil drums either at the moment. although te weather didnt help last weekend.