Seqouia takedown

Marc

I think its maybe a bit older then that SWB, but i might be wrong! They do say that the secret to a Sequoiadendrons size is the location, and if they are planted in perfect soils they can rocket up in a short time, whereas some old trees grow much slower if in less ideal environments! Beautiful trees, i love them! Saw them in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California, they blew my mind, the size of them is insane! Made me feel rather insignificant stood there looking up with my jaw on the floor!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roughly 100 years old, we had to round the base up after the 84 packed up on us during the last cut so we could use a smaller saw to finish it. Not sure if the last 20 years after its topping wether its growth slowed down?

The tree was pollarded back in 1988 probably we think a knee jerk reaction after the storms of 87. Anyway after some side branch failures and eventually one of the leader failing last year narrowely missing the house the owner sought help from a consultant, after months of carefull consideration and liasing with the council, it was decided that the tree should be removed and a new replacement planted.

Great picture set Mark.

Always adds weight to the removal story when you add the history.

Nice work.

Metasequoia replant?

Not sure why Dave but yes the replacement was a Dawn Redwood.

Planted in a much more suitable position away from the spider web of cable and not so close to the house.