New wood burner and flue

Mark Bolam

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggest if you have a wide stove for long logs then consider having double opening doors. This means the fireproof hearth can be less deep than with a single opening door.

For example this one: Bronpi Sena Stove - Bronpi Stoves has a door that swings out a long way.

Also I reckon a deep and wide stove is needed, not wide and shallow. It seems to me to burn better and less risk of logs rolling out.

This one for example is deep and wide considering it is only 5Kw: Bronpi Oxford multifuel stove - Bronpi Stoves

By the way I am not saying these particular stoves are good or otherwise, they just happened to illustrate my point.

Suggest if you have a wide stove for long logs then consider having double opening doors. This means the fireproof hearth can be less deep than with a single opening door.

For example this one: Bronpi Sena Stove - Bronpi Stoves has a door that swings out a long way.

Also I reckon a deep and wide stove is needed, not wide and shallow. It seems to me to burn better and less risk of logs rolling out.

This one for example is deep and wide considering it is only 5Kw: Bronpi Oxford multifuel stove - Bronpi Stoves

By the way I am not saying these particular stoves are good or otherwise, they just happened to illustrate my point.

We had double doors on our Villager stove at our old house and they were a nightmare to seal. Single doors are far better in that regard, as air tightness is the key to efficiency.

I'm mostly unable to wear trousers in the house at the moment, such is the internal temperature. It's not that warm up here yet, and we're heating the whole house (130 square metres) on about one basket of wood a day at the moment.

Normal arrangment:

Obviously require to insulate where it goes through the floor, but no reason not to use single skin steel flue pipe upstairs.

Or?

Consider an annular gap twixt the floor and the flue to allow the excess warm air to rise up through to the upstairs?

Because I suspect though some insulation round at least some of the flue is necessary to keep the flu gases hot enough /warm enough so as to ensure a good "draw" ?

Also more issues with condensate running back down if the flue is too cold.

i.e No free lunches.

m

you can only use maximum 1.8 M single skin flue from the stove and it needs to be 3 times its diameter from the ceiling

At last!

My bungalow is currently in the process of turning into a house.

Planning includes a wood burner.

Any recommendations would be helpful. Living room will be about 5mx5m, but I'd like to leave doors open to crank the heat elsewhere, so rather go bigger than smaller.

Must be able to take 12" logs, as small logs grind my beef.

Also, is it possible to have the flue in the upstairs bedroom acting as a vertical radiator, or is that a bad idea and better off boxed in?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

stick with a 5Kw stove then you wont need an air vent

a decnt cheap stove and modern looking take a look at GREYMETAL nero 5 these are the same as a Yeoman stove

if you want a more expensive stove then CLEARVIEW

To get the heat upstairs cut a vent in the ceiling above the stove, then make a box around the vent opening beneath the upstairs floorboards and add another vent where you want the hot air to come out, did this with mine and it keeps upstairs very warm.