Mobile Retorts

TGB

Hi Woodworks,

I only use the small diameter wood for charcoal that has no other obvious use.

This thread probably gives the impression I do nothing but churn out charcoal, but the vast majority of the wood I harvest goes for firewood. My main interest is the overall management of the ancient woodland. Making charcoal means I am wasting less of the woodland resource and it keeps me out of trouble in the summer when I can't bear to pull on the chainsaw trousers.

Nice one :thumbup:

Really satisfying to use all the small stuff that normally gets wasted.

Good luck with the biochar. We are trying it on parts of our garden to see it's effect. First impressions are that it needs charging before application.

Hi V. I.

Have been interested in Exeter retort for a while now, do you know of potential for recovering bi-products such as Stockholm tar ( I char a lot of scots pine ). I'm only about an hour away from you and would like to come hav a gander at some point if possible. Had been thinking of making one with 10yd rollonoff skip and large gas tank but I reckon by the time I've got it workin properly it could cost me near the Exeter price!

John

Hi John,

Of course, you are more than welcome to come and visit. I'll pm you my phone number, just give me a day or two's notice.

Regarding by-products, I haven't tried any resinous softwood in the retort but it would be interesting to give it a go. I know in the past it was all about the wood vinegar (tar), the charcoal was basically a waste product.

The retort produces way more wood gas than it needs to sustain itself. I believe it is possible to condense this down by diverting the gas down a long metal tube. Whether this would produce the right stuff I know not.

what a read very interesting and informative. good to see that Amy is getting british charcoal in to the supermarkets.

there is a lot of people who are looking to buy charcoal each week i get a mail saying that someone is looking to buy charcoal.

i would love to be able to justifies getting a retort. i have a very overstood hazel copse and it would be ideal.

i have heard that 180kg per burn is possible.

when i did have some charcoal i was selling to the trade approx 6kg sacks for £4 per pot and could not keep up with demand. but did not have the ready s to buy a kiln or a retort so ran out of a stockpile i had.

as for grants HCC are doing a grant. and i think i will look into this side to see what funding i can get to see if i can afford to buy a retort.

as part of the Hampshire coppice group we get bags at discount as buy in bulk with Hampshire charcoal on. those who do it seem to make a living from it

Around 2000 I used to work for a project coppicing alder in south shropshire, we had a towable kiln that was computer controlled and could be run 24 / 7 without having to be relit. It had its draw backs and there was inprovments that could of been made but I thought it was a great bit of kit.

what a read very interesting and informative. good to see that Amy is getting british charcoal in to the supermarkets.

there is a lot of people who are looking to buy charcoal each week i get a mail saying that someone is looking to buy charcoal.

i would love to be able to justifies getting a retort. i have a very overstood hazel copse and it would be ideal.

i have heard that 180kg per burn is possible.

when i did have some charcoal i was selling to the trade approx 6kg sacks for £4 per pot and could not keep up with demand. but did not have the ready s to buy a kiln or a retort so ran out of a stockpile i had.

as for grants HCC are doing a grant. and i think i will look into this side to see what funding i can get to see if i can afford to buy a retort.

as part of the Hampshire coppice group we get bags at discount as buy in bulk with Hampshire charcoal on. those who do it seem to make a living from it

Hi hedgesparrow,

I agree, charcoal is a good option for overstood hazel. It is generally considered a bit of a nuisance by most woodland workers, but I think it makes the best charcoal (perfect size, fairly dense and holds together well post pyrolysis). Hazel is also the best for the glass like tinkle you achieve with quality charcoal, it positively sings as it emerges from the retort!

You are lucky to have the Hampshire Coppice Group. If we tried to set one up in Suffolk we would have about two and a half members. You will almost certainly be aware of Alan Waters. I would seriously recommend bending his ear on this. He has done far more burns than anyone else in his exeter retort, and I believe was able to access significant levels of funding. I think his and Jo's 'Charfest' is coming up very soon.

Around 2000 I used to work for a project coppicing alder in south shropshire, we had a towable kiln that was computer controlled and could be run 24 / 7 without having to be relit. It had its draw backs and there was inprovments that could of been made but I thought it was a great bit of kit.

Interesting! I was aware of the viper, but not this one. As Mr Timbernut points out the issue with most retorts is excessive cost. To produce something that can tolerate the extreme heating and cooling you end up with a very costly machine.

My other main charcoal customer 'Treewood Charcoal' spent mega bucks on their double chambered pressvess retort and even they are having warping issues, among others.

Bridgebrooke, who produce hotties compressed logs had huge thick stainless retorts made up to produce their 'barbies' charcoal ( which they elected to call lumpwood charcoal:thumbdown:) Even those warped.

I think that until someone has a major breakthrough and produces an affordable non warping kiln, the best you can do is get one that is designed to be simple and easy to work on. In my view, despite it's shortcomings, the exeter is the best retort option available at present.

So, perhaps/ just perhaps, with modern mechanical handling and transport options.

We require to start transporting the wood to a fixed Kiln, built of refectory brick or 50mm thick boiler-plate steel, or whatever, with the associated sorting bagging equipment.

I am thinking along the lines of round steel or polyprop strapped bundles made up in the woods, and sized to fit the kiln/cooker/retort, and suitable for mechanical handling.

Then be able to trap and utilize the otherwise wasted gases and liquors.

regards,

marcus