Oregon chains ??

PC tree

i use the 73lpx chain for 3/8 and 21lpx for 325,noticed on the 325 chain you tend to get a chrome cutter every now and again,bugger to sharpen until you break thru the chrome

Oregon do the multicut chain version of lpx which has the "extra heavy duty chroming" if you fancy a full chainload of them :sneaky2:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Oregon 21 LPX in both soft & hardwood. Flies through softwood and is no slouch through hardwood. Providing I hit no stapes or hidden stones. It just needs touching up at the end of the day. In hardwood, a touch up at lunchtime and again at the end of the day.

Stihl chains are harder because they have a higher chrome content and so 'can' last longer. The flip side is there a little tougher to sharpen . I can always get a better edge on the softer oregon chain and obviously sharpen them quicker (by hand).

Just depends on cutting conditions. Their both good chains.

I use both.

Well said

I run Stihl full chisel and Oregon 75LPX full chisel on my 046 and both are good. The 75LPX holds it's edge for most of the day on clean wood. If I hit a stone/metal, then both of them would most likely need sharpening and I would in any case sharpen at the end of the day, The Oregon does stretch quite a lot more than the Stihl, especially when new. I got a good deal on a roll of Oregon at the APF show. If there is a significant price difference between Stihl and Oregon (i.e. Stihl is usually more expensive), then I would buy Oregon. If they were offered at the same price, I would buy Stihl (less adjusting and holds it's edge a bit longer).

I've been using Oregon BPX chain (which i believe is semi chisel) for the last year or 2 on a 15"/18" 550xp for my fledgling firewood business. The metal does seem quite soft, but easy to sharpen. Is there much performance difference on the full chisel LPX Oregon chain? I pressumed it was alot more aggressive chain/likely to give you a kick, though would cut wood quicker!

strange, I swear by Oregon and use them in preference over Stihl!...I use 91vx for pruning, the Stihl equivalent seems to cut well in bigger wood, but leaves tufts of poor cut cambium on the back of smaller pruning cuts....21BPX for the MS261...it holds its edge much longer than anything else I've tried.