Selling 3 saws to fund a new 1. Should it be a 346xp?

Ryan

I work at a bit of forestry in my spare time. I have bigger saw but I like do 90% of my work with mid a mid size 50cc 16" saw. Something as light as possible for hours of hand snedding. I currently work with a husqvarna 350 a Stihl ms240 and have a Husqvarna 137 as a back up. I intend to sell all 3 of them and buy something new or next to new with the money raised. Probably in the region of £500. I hear too many horror stories regarding 550 and 560xp's and to be honest I dont have the dealer back up local to me to be running back and forward. (rural Northern Ireland) I was in a local husky dealer lately and enquired about repairs to auto tune saws and they said they send them back to England. A saw I would really be interested in is a new 346xp if you know anybody with some old stock.

You have no chance of buying a new 346 or 357, you may pick up a decent second hand one, but you need to know what your buying, there are numerous auto tune saws from Husqvarna,545,555,550,560, the 545 replaces the 353 and cheaper than the 550 so why not give it a go make sure its a 2013/14 production machine. good saw.

If you want light weight, don't go for the 555. If you want a decent saw for less than a 550XP, you'll not be sorry to have got a 545. But if you're after a snedding weapon, how about an MS 241 C-M. Feels light in the hand, manoeuvrable, less vibration than the Huskies and easy on fuel. Seems to come std. on a 16" but get the 14" for faster snedding/limbing.

I knew there would be a new 346 somewhere, cheers WYK. Just a point on bar length. does anyone else prefer a long bar for snedding. My 350 has an 18" bar and I seem to think it saves some stooping over. I once felled and snedded 46 smallish spruce in a day with a 15" bar and my back was broke by the end of the day. By the end I would have wished for a 20" bar to save having to bend my back at all, even if the saw had of been heavier.