spiderjack or zigzag ?

RC0

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :thumbup1:

I did have a go with a spiderjack (not the lockjack) just the other day for the first time and while it took some getting used to, it does has a lot of promise for the kind of thing Im doing here. I especially liked the way the rope just falls through it and that I can choose some or even no resistance at all when Im limb walking, even at a wide line angle. Little concerned about the clutch situation though, having to keep buying new ones.

Used the unicender when they first came out, and while I though it was a brilliant concept and performed splendidly as a stop/go work-positioning device, anything in between was not really fit for purpose. Not my style of climbing anyway.

Zigzag sounds good though, but Im leaning towards the SJ.

Thanks again.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Think any system will get clogged by pitch. I have used SJ a lot with the pulley saver. I think the pulley saver is important on sticky trees. SJ doesn`t like sticky ropes any more than hitches. I couldn`t comment on ZZ.

I`m waiting for cordless ropes to come in, they would be great.

I would go SJ have worked on both and the SJ beats the ZZ. Takes longer to get used to but it's a dream to work on. It has it's negatives like it doesn't work well on a level line or when you are above you anchor and it doesn't work well when your rope is deflected at an odd angle when limb walking. But for me the pros outweigh the cons. Self tends like a dream self tends well one handed when limb walking, is always consistent with stopping and always locks. Lovely to descend on. It took a couple of months to get used to I but it was worth it. It's the one thing that's stopped me climbing SRT full time :)

I always use a cambium saver as if there is to much friction were your top anchor is it doesn't like to lock sometimes.

If I am doing a lot of pruning large trees it the cam lasts about 3 weeks but if I'm dismantling it lasts forever.

Would like to work on a LJ as haven't tyre done properly yet

Got both and use both respectively, zig zags for show, sjs for pro.

If your going straight up and down all day the sj wins for me, if your in a fiddley tricky prune then the zig zag is better, the zig zag is murder on the ropes though and don't even think of bombing it out of a tree like you do with the sj as it will glaze them no end!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I would go SJ have worked on both and the SJ beats the ZZ. Takes longer to get used to but it's a dream to work on. It has it's negatives like it doesn't work well on a level line or when you are above you anchor and it doesn't work well when your rope is deflected at an odd angle when limb walking. But for me the pros outweigh the cons. Self tends like a dream self tends well one handed when limb walking, is always consistent with stopping and always locks. Lovely to descend on. It took a couple of months to get used to I but it was worth it. It's the one thing that's stopped me climbing SRT full time :)

I always use a cambium saver as if there is to much friction were your top anchor is it doesn't like to lock sometimes.

If I am doing a lot of pruning large trees it the cam lasts about 3 weeks but if I'm dismantling it lasts forever.

Would like to work on a LJ as haven't tyre done properly yet

Don't be modest matey, I was there for your first climb on a sj, and you took to it straight away.

Extremely intuitive and easy to use. I doubt a zz could beat it.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Don't wanna be the guy who brings up srt in every thread but seems it would be a good choice given your problem with sap. But to answer your question, I've used both SJ and zz. Cannot put the SJ down and nothing compares IMO. Very different designs and different climbing styles would prefer either. But you will smile bigger and longer on the sj:biggrin:

Give srt a thought but failing that SJ I reckon, even though I gummed up my SJ on a cedar the other day, now very jumpy and sometimes getting stuck until I washed my velocity rope. Have fun deciding and buying.

J:thumbup1:

More great insight. Thanks again:thumbup1:

Looks like the SJ.

For those who mentioned SRT, thanks....I do lots of SRT. Just not for every tree and task. Sometimes I'll switch systems in the tree even, depending. But thanks, again. I'll order it tonight.