Monkey puzzle

Stihlben

Hi all,

I'm felling a large monkey puzzle tomorrow if any of the timber is of interest to anyone (beaconfield) the tree is almost 3 foot across and dead standing....

The nuts are apparently great for eating. Hugh Fernly Whatnot did a cookery show featuring them - better than toasted pine nuts apparently. Looking forward to an opportunity to try em one day.

Also , did you know that the semi precious stone "JET " the black stuff from the east coast is actually the knots of ancient monkey puzzle trees that have been fossilised a bit like coal over many thousands of years !!

it's not just the knots mate it's the whole tree. millions of years ago they were washed down to the sea and got seriously flattened et'voila jet...

it's not just the knots mate it's the whole tree. millions of years ago they were washed down to the sea and got seriously flattened et'voila jet...

Quite right.

They are horrid to work on and the thought of that many of the blighters in one place gives me the shivers, even if it was a million years ago.

It does look quite nice and interesting , but what do you perceive it's end use to be ? Table tops perhaps ? it may be a bit soft for that , it would be interesting to see if it sells , or if you make something from it be sure to put some pics up ( I know it will not be for some time yet , unless you kiln dry it ) I do not think I have ever seen anything made from MP apart from turnings .