is it really worth it

simonm

What about insurance, tickets, machine costs etc? its people like this making it harder for people who do make a living from tree work and run a propper firm. It's very rare I will do a tree for the wood as it really isn't worth it as a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Correct, I would never do the tree for the wood, bet a plumber wouldnt re plum ya house just for the copper! Dicks like this WILL get cought out at some point.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, I would never do the tree for the wood, bet a plumber wouldnt re plum ya house just for the copper! Dicks like this WILL get cought out at some point.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

I have in the past done a couple large Ash trees for the wood, I wouldn't do it again but at the time it worked. Nowadays there is so little money in firewood that it's too much hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Don't feed the troll.

I don't think he is being a troll.

Josh quoted £1200 for a job that took 3 man days. Graham points out that that seems a hell of a lot of money to some of us. Graham can make a living from the wood he got from a job and that does not surprise me with the cost of logs as they are.

Seriously some of you clearly earn big money and I don't hold that against you but it's hard to feel sorry for quotes that high being rejected. I have never earned a £1000 in a week let alone a day.

i dont rely on tree surgery for day to day wages and dont really understand how mind blowing quotes are accepted. at my last domestic job i removed 3 elm from a garden where a previous outfit quoted £800 quite a nasty job with phone lines, buildings, walls, public roads, sentimental shrubs all under the trees that were leaning badly in the wrong direction. i had them down and removed for free with the firewood value easily covering 2 folks wages and expenses.

i loved it:thumbup:

Graham,While I applaud your good fortune there are elements in the trade that "do it for the wood" and to be honest on fallen timber that poses no risk crack on and good luck! but when i get called in to remove timber from someones Roof because some idiot thought" i can do it for the wood"it gets my goat! this puts us at risk clearing up your mess tying up our time and resources,not to mention upsetting arranged work schedules.

Twice in the last year alone I have had the pleasure of this experience, I feel it is irresponsible of you to post as you did, promoting undercutting of pricing, potentially lethal work practice,and giving bad example to younger members,

While i do not direct these comments at you directly i feel this needs to be said for others to see and maybe realize the risks involved,if you are fully ticketed and Insured and competent in takedowns and removals then no problem Apart from the perceived value of the wood? Really….. i take it you took it home split and stacked it,left it season in a dry shed for 1or 2 years, loaded it and delivered it to your paying customer,not dropped it straight from the removal site ?

Well have said my piece and i'm sure most will agree that these people are doing themselves and the industry no favors turning a quick few quid in an irresponsible manner, and yes i rose to the bait:thumbdown:

Here in cornwall dont think you will win any work for £1000 a day , unless you have large team. I charge £360 day for me and another guy and we seem to be lossing a lot of work at mo cos we are too exspensive.

I've never been in the business ....so like a nutter I feel free to comment

If you can get £1000 a day why not?

There are allways people who think if they pay more they get better, so encourage them

But a day rate should cover costs + a profit

But the wood is surely your cream, not the bread and butter

If you take it away you can cut it when business is quiet to keep your team productive

No down time

There is a worry that the ultra cheap guys are keeping costs down by cutting corners

No insurance, no qualifications, ( hooky tackle?) so what happens when he drops a Big ash on your house?

He'll be gone.....