More timber fairies

Shane

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week delivering a stove in a local town center a large tree had blown over in the recent gales. A WOMAN and her kids ( 12-14 ish) were shifting lumps of 200mm branch 50 yards on a wheelbarrow and lobbing them into the rear of an estate car !!.

Did not see any saw and more or less only the trunk was visible which had been de limbed, this was mid afternoon last Weds.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Well whenever I have been "caught" I usually remove some of my PPE, smile and explain to the landowner how I am doing them a favour, really. Otherwise I wouldn't be there. Local stuff ignored for weeks, months, that's dangerous usually. I have even gained clients from clearing up wood here and there, including this year when some guy accepted my apology, fair do's they were on his land, but as I guessed he didn't want the wood anyway and so in return for it I cleared up the rest of his lovely mature ash woodland, leaving some standing deadwood for the thriving woodpecker population. Gave him a tree survey and habitat survey, all free of charge, and gave him a five year habitat creation work plan. I might even get some of the work :)

Everybody was happy!

As I say to my kids "If you can't be good, don't get caught!".

On saturday i was on a conifer reduction and managed to sell the wood for £45 to the locals who came out the wood work as soon as we started the job. And it was amusing to see them load it in to wheelie bins. It was like a pack of wolfs who could cram the most in to a bin.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

are you joking:confused1:

No. A smile is very disarming. I have just confused a local estate owner too by offering to do his three fallen oaks for him by renting one of his small barns from him. Other people were asking thousands. Me and him now are going to have plenty of firewood for many winters to come and make some money too. And the rent is free now. :thumbup:

We heard that a group of travellers was heading our way and maybe looking for a field to occupy. Bit short notice so I loaded a pile of pine logs which had been sitting neglected on a concrete pad for about ten years. We put them across gateways into the field to discourage access and they were so bloody rotten that several broke in half as we dropped them in the gateways, basically just powder inside.

This did the trick as far as deterring the travellers but some time later I could not believe that someone had been down in the night and nicked about a dozen of these logs..

They were about twelve feet long and six inches diameter and there was no sign of sawing.

God knows what they were thinking as they would have lasted all of ten seconds on a wood stove!

No. A smile is very disarming. I have just confused a local estate owner too by offering to do his three fallen oaks for him by renting one of his small barns from him. Other people were asking thousands. Me and him now are going to have plenty of firewood for many winters to come and make some money too. And the rent is free now. :thumbup:

Do you think a smile works for shoplifters???

I had a mate in 80's who got loads of shooting between m6 and manchester by knocking on doors and being polite

He got one large estate who were concerned about claims from tenants re vermin who justgave him permission to shoot over literally 1000's acres

He shot pretty much full time

Not pretty area but loads of geese, duck, pigeon, partridge etc

I'm amazed no one ever knocks on my door to just ask .....