Deadwooding Wellingtonias using 30m MEWP

hazzygawa

I love to climb, but like using MEWPs too. I think they definately have their place in our industry. Its nice to have the option of a MEWP when a tree's structural integrity is questionable! But i agree with Skyhuck to a certain extent. i am working with climbers who turn up at a job and if its even a slightly challenging climb, they ring the boss and tell him the tree "NEEDS" a MEWP. Its actually quite rediculous! I agree 100% that challenging climbs build confidence and skill levels. But i also think there is a cut-off point and some trees should not be climbed at all. As i said they have their place, but the young lads growing up in our company who rely on them because my boss owns a few truck-mounted ones will never out climb me in any tree, because they rely on MEWP's too much and they are lacking the confidence and skills to tackle big and challenging stuff.

And the profit thing like Sky huck said, why eat into your profit if u are a skillful climber and are capable of doing a job from a rope and harness, then more profit is good. If there is a row of 20 trees, then MEWP all the way for me!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hired that in for the job. we had about 5 wellies to do plus some other stuff. .It is a good mewp until your up in the air at full reach, it beeps at you then the controls pack up. gulp. The tree you see has a large split running down it with a bees nest in. Pity cuz its the best tree out of the bunch. May need topping. uh oh.

Great pic Hazzygawa, thanks for posting it here.

Don't be put off by the debate your picture has started - it's all good stuff and not meat as a criticism to you.

Out of interest, how long did each tree take? Do you feel much time was saved accessing the crown with the MEWP?

Looks like a fun job either way.

each tree took about 1.5 -2 hrs. i think. it was a while ago.

The mewp was a life saver for accessing the trees, it saved a lot of blood sweat and tears, oh and a lot of swearing. it was about another 30ft climb when getting out.

i like a good debate.:001_smile:

mewps are awesome and the future. climbing is so yesterday:001_cool:

i wreckon huck was in that basket with deab when it fell over and has never been right since:001_tongue:

I'm with Stevie in this one - You have to have balls of steel to go up high in a MEWP, climbing is for wimps! :001_tongue:

We've got one to do this week aswell.Same kind of idea.Can't get past the drooping branches.Hirin the mewp for another job anyway.Tried spikin it but 5 metre flip line not big enough.Throwline wouldn't stay in either an i don't have a big shot.Anybody got any other ideas of gettin up it?

We've got one to do this week aswell.Same kind of idea.Can't get past the drooping branches.Hirin the mewp for another job anyway.Tried spikin it but 5 metre flip line not big enough.Throwline wouldn't stay in either an i don't have a big shot.Anybody got any other ideas of gettin up it?

Mortar with a grappling hook.???

Put an extension on your flipline.

A bit of wire rope with splice eyes in each end or even a chain.

If you don't plan on cutting when your on the flipline then a peice of rope works well.Double it over as its easier to grap,you will have to really fip it on the biggies.

Two climbers, one each side of the stem, with strops between then moving up together :001_smile: