Chipper Revs Mod

Dean Lofthouse

I've had an idea for a modification to all chippers.

To me, a chipper running at full tilt with nothing going through it is like sitting at a red traffic light in your car with your foot on the acclerator.

My idea is to fit an optical sensor that sensors when something is being fed into the chipper hopper, when it does it will automatically rev up.

When there is nothing being fed it automatically knocks the revs back down to just above tickover.

There could be an adjustable timer delay of say 15 seconds to allow for collecting brash to feed. But then for longer intervals between feeds or long drags the chipper idles inbetween saving fuel and wear and tear on the componants

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All they need is a quality centrifugal load governor on the injector pump so there is no direct connection between the throttle & fuel rack in the injector pump

When under no load the load governor pulls back the fuel rack so chipper rpm is maintained but fuelling is at a minimum, when load is applied and the rpm’s begin to fall the centrifugal load governor moves the fuel rack proportional to maintaining rpm thus the minimum fuelling is always used to maintain rpm vs. load.

There is a similar system on most agri Unimog’s ware there is no direct connection between the foot/hand throttle and the injector pump fuel rack, basically all the foot/hand throttle dose is move the preload on the centrifugal load governor thus setting its rpm then in turn the centrifugal load governor independently moves the fuel rack to maintain rpm, this is why some people have problems driving Unimog’s with respect to under-load gear changes.

If you could get it to work well then I think its a great idea..

But, I think H&S would have a fit - what with these being used openly roadside, and revs then suddenly picking up to max as the small child reaches inside the machine to retrieve their ball (detail edited!!).

Quite unlikely i know! But this is how they think isn't it??

The bigger GreenMech machines do have an electric throttle holding full power, I'll ask what it would cost to extend the controls to a big grren button on the infeed. Hit it to rev down, hit to rev up.

It should be quite an easy system to make. My Kubota tractor has a long action solonoid on the side of the injector pump for the stop lever.

I could get one of these, attach it to the throttle lever through a relay which in turn would be operated by an optical sensor positioned above the chipper infeed or looking through a small hole drilled into the top of the hopper infeed.

A system such as this could be an aftermarket kit to go on any chipper, the only problem is finding a suitable optical sensor which will stand upto the vibration