Thoughts on Bio Chain Oil

Rye Oil Ltd

The one that seems to be working best is based on a synthetic ester rather than the standard veg oil.

Interesting thread. Not surprised you have found that synthetic esters outperform standard veg since ester basestocks after poly-ol esters are the ultimate basestock for film strength, oxidation resistance, thermal stability, viscocity duration etc etc etc! Are you saying your synthetic ester is of veg origin?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think many people know what base their chain oil is made from? (Apart from TCD obviously, resident oil-geek extraordinair).

I used to only use Stihl non-bio without any problems.

I now use rape oil exclusively without issues, for a few reasons:

Its fully biodegradable (and properly so, not just under test environment s...)

It has undergone no processing, minimising its carbon footprint.

Its grown pressed and packed in Britain, again minimising Cfp.

Its completely safe to handle.

Its available everywhere, any corner shop sells it.

Its much easier to wipe of the saw if you spill some in it.

Its cheap!

It works well. ( I deduce that from the fact I've never had a chain snap from wear-induced weakness, my bars wear at the same or slower compared to when I used Stihl oil. )

In short: in my opinion "proper" chain oils offer no real benefits over rapeseed oil.

Chain oil = snake oil?

I don't think many people know what base their chain oil is made from? (Apart from TCD obviously, resident oil-geek extraordinair).

I used to only use Stihl non-bio without any problems.

I now use rape oil exclusively without issues, for a few reasons:

Its fully biodegradable (and properly so, not just under test environment s...)

It has undergone no processing, minimising its carbon footprint.

Its grown pressed and packed in Britain, again minimising Cfp.

Its completely safe to handle.

Its available everywhere, any corner shop sells it.

Its much easier to wipe of the saw if you spill some in it.

Its cheap!

It works well. ( I deduce that from the fact I've never had a chain snap from wear-induced weakness, my bars wear at the same or slower compared to when I used Stihl oil. )

In short: in my opinion "proper" chain oils offer no real benefits over rapeseed oil.

Chain oil = snake oil?

What size bars are you running? I always use veg oil and never had any problems but have the feeling it might be different if you're running a big 30" bar on a mill etc and the oil wouldn't stay on the bar long enough?

What size bars are you running? I always use veg oil and never had any problems but have the feeling it might be different if you're running a big 30" bar on a mill etc and the oil wouldn't stay on the bar long enough?

I use the following:

10" on ms180

15" on 550xp

20" on 365xt/372xt

36" and 46" on ms880 on the mill...

Interesting thread. Not surprised you have found that synthetic esters outperform standard veg since ester basestocks after poly-ol esters are the ultimate basestock for film strength, oxidation resistance, thermal stability, viscocity duration etc etc etc! Are you saying your synthetic ester is of veg origin?

I know that synthetic esters can be made from a variety of organic and inorganic acids, so the exact origin of the ester that is used in the product we are testing is sadly unkown to me, but I may try and find out.

I know if you use a synthetic ester based product it should stand up to higher temperature and producce less wear on moving parts. Only time will tell.

It is interesting that some people seem to be able to use just veg oil and be fine and others have major issues. I suppose what is comes down to is the type of saw, how well it is cleaned and the type of work that is being undertaken.

I shall keep the forum updated on our tests and if anyone has any questions give me a shout.

Sorry for wall of text.

So what lurks in these 45 gallon drums of chain gook that we buy ? :)

23295cdb62a9f69c18372bb05a0d5673_zpsba692af1.jpg

Bob

I hope that barrel of prized chain oil is not stored outside bob. You might get more than you bargained for at the bottom. The sooner you get to the bottom the sooner I can send you a shiny new one :biggrin:

I use Clarks bio tack as the yard I work from has a strong environmental policy.

It oils well but my main issue is the way it gunks up the cooling fins on my ms 200 carving saw. It's like burned on tar!

I am hoping this new formulation wont do that, this is not the first time I have heard this, not from one make in particular but all round.

From my experience looking at saws that have had problems it's when normal chain oil is mixed with bio or cooking oil substitutes it congeals in to a mess that causes problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Have seen this before, and cleaned out a few saws with this problem, mainly from someone using other peoples oils and changing all the time.

I use the Clarks bio tack and had no problems that would stop me using it. I feel it is affected by the temperature becoming gloopy in the cold and quite thin in the summer. The other thing I have noticed is if I take a bar and chain off a saw and leave it for a few months it gets seized up. Easily freed up with some WD.

Yep, that would be a reaction with the air.