Chainsaw Lanyard

Steve Bullman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day when the 076 was a front line saw they came up the tree regularly.

Old school cool :thumbup1:

An 076 is damn light in comparison, I've quite happily done a day of felling with an 051/075

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Not sure if anyone mentioned up to now, but the big difference between using a rope and a tool lanyard is the tool lanyard is only rated at 25/30kg or so, so if it does get ripped off you it only takes 25/30kg of force to break it.

I would personally prefer my saw being able to rip away from my harness if a cut you didn't think would cause problems did.

Edit: just spotted someone had said it, but important to create a weak point if using rope

Not sure if anyone mentioned up to now, but the big difference between using a rope and a tool lanyard is the tool lanyard is only rated at 25/30kg or so, so if it does get ripped off you it only takes 25/30kg of force to break it.

I would personally prefer my saw being able to rip away from my harness if a cut you didn't think would cause problems did.

Edit: just spotted someone had said it, but important to create a weak point if using rope

On top handle saws the connection point is a "weak point" too

Not sure on rear handles.

I also connect to a "weak point" on my harness, which serves the same purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I've had a 46 hang off a bunjee strop for years and never had a problem with them breaking.

Once I had to do a throw away quick , to catch something and the Caritool will snapped.

On the making a weak point on a strop, do you guys do a practice run by cutting a certain amount and seeing how much takes to rip it?

I've seen vans get pulled out of ditches with old tattered strops and they never snapped .

That was always my concern.:(

I've had a 46 hang off a bunjee strop for years and never had a problem with them breaking.

Once I had to do a throw away quick , to catch something and the Caritool will snapped.

On the making a weak point on a strop, do you guys do a practice run by cutting a certain amount and seeing how much takes to rip it?

I've seen vans get pulled out of ditches with old tattered strops and they never snapped .

That was always my concern.:(

I think some of the newer strops have tearaways in them, but no, I've never tried it :P

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The tear away lanyards are designed to give up before your rope system or anchor point does.

I have seen more than one saw ripped handle from barrel by an old school full fat lanyard.

Not a good place for the climber to be. Best to clip the lanyard to the tree if there is a chance of the timber taking the bar with it.

The tear away lanyards are designed to give up before your rope system or anchor point does.

I have seen more than one saw ripped handle from barrel by an old school full fat lanyard.

Not a good place for the climber to be. Best to clip the lanyard to the tree if there is a chance of the timber taking the bar with it.

I think I'd sooner let the saw go with the lump, than clip to the tree and have the saw ripped in half.