Dyslexia Dyspraxia etc

Arbocop

I'm currently studying a Dyslexia unit as part of a Masters. Some of the commonly-held beliefs don't stand up to scrutiny.

There is thought to be as many dyslexic females as males - boys are much more likely to be referred for intervention because of the way many react to frustration in the classroom.

Dyslexia is an umbrella term for several conditions, there are also several theories explaining the sources of the symptoms - and these theories sometimes support and contradict one another.

What all the explanations do have in common is the belief that Dyslexia is connected with the person's 'short-term memory' - the part of the brain that remembers the current stuff eg. the last thing you've been told to do, the phone number that you're typing at the moment, the start of the word that you're reading at this moment. It's problems with holding information in our short-term memories that lead to processing tasks that some people just find difficult or impossible.

Dyslexics can exhibit very specific problems (just spelling etc.) or can have difficulty over many aspects of everyday life - this range is explained by the fact that one person's Dyslexia is not the same as another's.

People of all 'intelligences' can exhibit Dyslexic characteristics, and it's thought that many people have varying degrees of these problems and don't know it because it can range from extremely mild to debilitating.

Early intervention can have marked improvements for a large number of Dyslexic children. Teachers are becoming more aware of the issue, sometimes educational funding doesn't allow them to provide what they would like to.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a great a summary by an autistic person how they felt that autism impacted on him. He said that to him autism is the limitation to communicate verbally and socially in the norm that societies expects.

To me my dyslexic is a limitation to communicate literally with in norm that societies expects. Non-dyslexics do not realise the extra work and time that is required for a dyslexic person to get written work up to an expectable standard.

Dyslexia, Autism, Asbergers, etc are not actually conditions, they are collections of symptoms, if you have enough of the symptoms you qualify for the label.

I have heard it said that all people have a touch of these conditions, but it is only those that are judged to be outside of the 'normal range'(???) who get labled. Who decides what is 'normal' ??

The dyslexics I know tend to be intelligent high achievers, but with a tendency toward practical applications. Quite often it seems that their practical experience has lead to an interest in their particular subject which has in turn got them to push beyond the dyslexic difficulties to study further in that subject, although they are frustratingly good at understanding and remembering stuff - perhaps a coping mechanism, but more likely I am just a bit thick :lol:

It comes as no surprise to me to hear quite a number are involved in the arboricultural industry.

As with most things in life, a particular challenge mostly brings out a positive response, although as commented by others above, society can hamper that in many ways.

My wife is a farrier, when she started her apprenticeship the lad above her had Dyslexia but after years of being knocked back by other bosses because although he was a good worker he was 'too thick for college' (he started with her boss in 1997) The boss had said if he wanted to achieve something he could, they just had to find out how he 'ticked'. The lad was great with numbers but got muddled with spelling, though with the right help he went on to be the top of his class. 13 years on my wife still works alongside 'The Boss!' and they now have a lad with dyspraxia...completely different challenge. He is a very likeable lad which is what has probably got him this far and his hand eye co-ordination isn't bad but the brain gets in the way and muddles things. When he started he hadn't been diagnosed just seemed a bit of an 'air head' once the pressure increased it was clear there was something not right and the learning support at his college had him diagnosed. It has helped in his teaching in that when he can not remember what was said the day before or can't seem to see what should be obvious, they can remind themselves he can't help which lessens the desire to chase him!! He will have a very hard time in his life as his basic life skills are difficult never mind the very technical and highly theoretical nature of his chosen career, but on the plus side it has meant his younger brother has also been diagnosed before he starts secondary school so hopefully he will cope better. It is doubtful he will ever manage to run his own business as he does need someone looking over his shoulder. My wife has said he is the biggest challenge her boss has ever had and it has driven them both to distraction as they both want him to do well but she says give her a dyslexic any day!!!:blushing:

I saw this post early days and did not comment.

My father, myself and our Son were/are dyslexic.(to some degree)

But excellent communicators.

As far as I am aware there is no link between dyslexia and dyspraxia. (best mate has a dyspraxic daughter btw)

However quite a few people now prefer to hide behind labels as an excuse for their lazyness, or their childrens lazyness.

Or lack of intellect or lack of physical finesse.

We are all different. (and in hindsight I may well be somewhere on the Autistic spectrum)

Live with it.

PS

I simply cannot understand why a dyspracic child should be studying farriery/horseshoeing.

This simply does not make any kinda sense.

Who one here would let me fly them, or perhaps slice the top off their skull for a go at brain surgery.

Just because I want to/feel I am capable of doing so.

regards

marcus

Edited by difflock