Dyslexia Dyspraxia etc

Arbocop

Without offending anyone, I think thick people can also be dyslexic, I think it can affect people of all intelligence levels.

Your probably right skyhuck but in days gone by teachers just group everyone that struggled in their lessons in the thick group. I believe it's better now a days.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your probably right skyhuck but in days gone by teachers just group everyone that struggled in their lessons in the thick group. I believe it's better now a days.

Absolutely, but I know a head teacher who does not believe dyslexia exists, it can still be tough to get help.

I think that the human body and brain compensate when it cant hear the other senses get better. So if its not as good for spelling then it puts those resources to use elsewhere.

I work for lots of companies and have met dislexic people all over but another person I knew was a dispraxic *hand eye coordination outdoor pursuits instructor

I have had people with dyslexia working for me and I have met quite a few people with it. I have found they all do quite well for themselves - some better than most "ordinary" people. I think this is because they try harder to succeed, my son who is 13 has been diagnosed with it but im not concerned.

I would agree with this for most disadvantages but not all. I have hearing lost and was grouped through the education system with people a lot worse and they had a pride to prove prove themselves and did so with university etc.

Over the years I have worked with many disadvantaged people in various ways, currently I occasionally work with a lad who has dyspraxia quite bad, will miss a football more than hit it, and he is a poor performer in the workplace and has to be carried and is fortunate to have a job really, he does however have other issues including possibly autism. We do help him a lot, but its hard work.

Another lad has dyslexia very bad but he is an excellent grafter when he puts his mind to it, which is most of the time.

So 2 out of 5 here.

I reckon attitude to our type of industry makes the ratio higher than average, when I was choosing options at school I chose Rural sciences, it was my kind of thing, the head of the year called me to her office and told me I couldn't do that, I was too bright a student and it was unofficially reserved for remedial students. I then went to the local agricultural coledge which also had a high student population of learning difficulties, that didn't seem fair as some students were only dyslexic and others wheelchair bound and dependant on a carer.

the test was around £400, spelling is only a tiny part of dyslexia. i was surprised that most people that take the test just cant spell but have been labeled dyslexic.

Dyslexia, Autism, Asbergers, etc are not actually conditions, they are collections of symptoms, if you have enough of the symptoms you qualify for the label.