Too old?

rcarolina

Evening all.

I'm new to the forum so be gentle with me. Without boring you with a long drawn out life story - the synopsis is this. Grew up in London with a love for the countryside. Wanted to be a forest ranger - got a knock back from crap careers teachers and ended up 19 years in a city job (facilities). Almost imploded and eventually left to go to uni to study history. Came out of that and started to do some gardening work - eventually leading to a full time job as senior gardener for a private estate (still there). During this time rediscovered a desire to work in, up, around and on trees. Have completed an NVQ2 in Env Consv and have CS30,31 and brushcutter tickets. Was never really determined to go into horticulture but have been a bit railroaded so to speak. In order to progress and to break away from current role I am thinking about doing the CS38/CS39 modules with a view to starting in arboricuture. Yep - I know I've left it late, my old dad always told me that I needed to get my finger out - well I have, albeit 20 years late.

I'm 42 in a few weeks but I am physically fit, walk miles everyday in my job and when walking my skinny dog. I am a bit of a racing snake and have no excess baggage. I don't smoke, drink in moderation and don't interfere with myself too much. My question after all that is do you think I've missed the boat? Are there many of you at a similar age actively climbing and does it really hurt as much as people make out?

I am really determined to make this my second career and I have compromised a lot to get where I am now. I would see continuing to work on the practical side for at least another five years before maybe going into a more managerial role. It's really not about the money for me - it's about enjoying a working life and taking control. I need to do this soon as the clock is ticking surprisingly fast these days.

Any views, comments or horror stories most welcome.

rc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best climber ive seen is about your age,he can do it all day long but he's got the technique so does'nt have to put as much hard slog into it as someone less skilled.

I reckon you've got a few good years left in you yet.

Not sure about you not interfering with yourself too much tho....you need to get that sorted mate or you'll be stuck in a miserable existance for the rest of your life...lol

go for it, if you want to swing about trees with a chainsaw and make money. well thats different. it takes years to learn the right skills on the ground before you should do it in trees. but recreational climbing, now thats different. climbing techniques are one thing, chainsaw skills are another. you obviously work in a nice place and enjoy life mate, you should go to the AA show in june and get shown the ropes so to speak. i am just back in after walking the dogs and playing in trees. its very relaxing.

I'm 49 and still climbing,maybe not as fast as the younger climbers but I earn a living, my work partner is 43 and has no worries either. if you want to do it go for it, might take a while for muscle groups to adapt but that applies to all ages.

IMG_0076.jpg.04ba014711957f3c00946bb0e6f43bb2.jpgStarted this business 4 years ago. Have just turned 49 (actually same date as Mr Bullman!!) Don't worry lads, am not upset about the forgotten cards?

Have never felt better. Was 18 stone, unfit, smoked and drank like an idiot. Decided to do something with my life.

Am fitter, healthier and happier doing trees than any other job I've had. Dropped 4 stone and got fit, mainly due to the climbing exertions.

The business is not doing too bad. Have slowly built up a decent list of good clients and feel I can do the job as well as some of the best.

As far as age is concerned, If you have the work, and you feel you are not capable/experienced, get someone else in. I have had some fantastic tree surgeons who have given me some great training, advice and encouragement. In return, I have passed over jobs that are far beyond my capabilities and expertise. Respect for all these people on Arbtalk.

The market at the moment is not good however. My advice is, get insured, build up your cliientel slowly and don't forget to ask for help.

tree work is one of the hardest jobs around imo. Im 26 been in the game since i left school my wrists are hurting alot in the last few weeks from climbing and draging. it is hard on your knee's wrist's and back but if you feel you can give it a good go do it.

Go for it.Im 41 and been climbing 22 months and now just started working for a tree firm last 2 weeks.Got my tickets and did two years at college. My advice start recreational climbing at weekends and get climbing fit. You may not be as fast as the young ones but if you like hard work do it.Like they said previous its using a saw in a tree that counts.

Best of luck.

your never to old to do anything...

put it this way.. iv had lads working for me that say im past it!!! there both 48yo

dont make me laugh lol

my fathers 64 had 3 heart attacks 2 hernias slip disks and hes still bombing around on a jcb.......

so if you feel fit enough,dont let anything stop you...:001_smile: