Too old?

rcarolina

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 lad? Yer no'but spring chicken!

The two climbers i know and respect the best down here are 41 and over 50, and both climb everyday. Go for it!

I'm only 35 though. And suffering! Haha.

Doesn't matter whether you're in you teens or 40s - it's still gonna hurt :lol:!

If anything, i'd say having a few years behind you may be an advantage, as you have now decided this is something you actually want to persue and isn't just an alternative to the dole.

Have you thought about doing the C&G course, either as the ten week course or just one day per week? It'll give you a gentle introduction to the whole climbing thing and give you a good idea of whether it's for you (or not :sad:). And even if you find climbing's not your thing, you will still have gained enough knowledge the basics to run a team, with someone else as your lead climber.

You've come this far, so give it a go :001_smile:.

The bloke i work with is 51 and is a top climber!!!!!!, been doing it for 25+ years and ive seen him leave over climbers for dust, learnt loads off this bloke..............."nuff respect".

Its true Climbing gives you loads of aches and pains when you first start its just your body getting used to doing somthing that its not usually asked to do. Overall i think climbing is very positive and healthy for you no matter what the age. It tones you up (the ladys love it :001_tt1:) makes you phisically stronger and improves your stamina.

Give it a go first Rec climbing see how you fair....................... A mate of mine who fancy's himself as a bit tough and handy had a go at climbing with me and could'nt even pull his weight up off the ground.....................So defo have a play at climbing to see if it suits you before taking the plunge and chasing a carrer in it.

Go for it, never to old.

I used to work as a manager in a local tesco and went to work everyday feeling rubbish, since i changed to tree work 2years ago and i've never been happier.

I would say, be prepared to start off on pretty poor money until you're experienced, its frustrating at times, but guess it's the price you pay for doing a job you enjoy, and as you've said, money aint everything. Go for a rec climb first tho, see how you fare for sure!

I say jump on a rope and give it a go.Im 50 and I use ascenders for the long hauls,its allowed.Also,I didnt start climbing until I was 43.I used to be a Forestry tree feller and then I switched to Arb and I wished Id done it sooner.Keep us informed on your progress.

Go for it RC, I think I asked the same question last year before getting into this game....and had much the same response.

I would recommend some rec climbing or just gym training before your 38/39 though....discovered I had very weak elbows/forearms by the second climb....ok now though!!

Bon chance!