Other ventures????????????

skyhuck

, try doing a bit of landscaping as i do with a guy round me, Lots of irons in lots of fires, you soon find what works and what don't.

I don't want anything that I need to be doing with them, I'm flat out doing trees.

I want something thats idiot proof, so I can just send them out to do it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started out on my own I had a business partner who was a brickie, we used to do landscapimg and driveways etc, I never enjoyed that work and as soon as he left I concentrated on the tree work.

I too have been thinking about having other irons in the fire and am in the early stages of an agreement with a grounds maintenance contractor with the aim of providing a complete service, each of us sticking to what we know. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am also toying with the idea of getting a processor and doing more firewood with bought in timber, ( I only seem to bring in about 100 - 150 tons a year). The problem with this is as the market for tree work contracts there will be less timber coming in and so relying on the price of bought in stuff could be risky if the price rises too far.

Who knows what the best thing to do is, I think my summer will be make or break. A good summer will see me through a quiet winter.:001_smile:

logs can be hard work and space to keep the dry is a neccessity, but idiot proof it is not.

as you say tractors break down and the machines are'nt the strongest built things and then you find out the staff has not set the right length on the machine and it all has to be cut again, it also gets quite tedious after a while and motivation drops

Thats when you will get the stress Dave, when you get other people involved, they just dont work like yourself, cant you get the wife doing something from home? not sure what mind but just a thought.

she could be a registered childminder like my wife, she gets paid to say at home and look after y kids whil looking after others, earns around £8-900pm, would be more if my kids were'nt taking up 2 places averaging £250-350 per child per month

Sounds like you have had a raw deal with some past employee's.

I see where you are coming from, I have worked with,for and alongside quite a few different people and tbh the percentage that I would happily employ is fairly low.

Now this wont help with ideas on new ventures but might help with running them and dont take it personally(although dont think there is any other way to take it tbh) but there is a good chance that you are a poor employer and/or manager.

If you have had probs with employing people and think that there may be probs employing future staff then why not get on a manager training course? It could make all the difference.

I don't want anything that I need to be doing with them, I'm flat out doing trees.

Nothing is fool proof to a sufficently talented Fool Dave.

I,like most of us have met people who challange Charles Darwins theory on a daily basis.