stress

i used to work at director level for a rather large action sports brand,,, i was responsible for 47 countries and spent over 240 days a year traveling. i was responosibe for turnover in excess of $240million in 2 years i saw my wife for a total of 13 1/2 weeks.. on the plus side i got to see some amazing countries and i earnt good money, however, i worked my back side off, the company gained on average an extra 3 working days a month free just from me gaining hours on the plane hopping time zones etc.. it became apparent VERY quickly that the lifestyle/ job was not sustainable without something giving in, wether that be marriage or health or both..so i did my time and we got out...

now i'm learning something new...trees

have to say of all the things i've done over the years i haven't had this much fun since i was in my early 20's

someone told me, "look at what you have, not what you don't have, and appreciate that you are always in a better position than someone else, look after number one and those close to you, anything else aint worth dyeing for..."

i know that sometimes everything can be overwhelming and seem like a mountain, or a tunnel with no light, but there is always someone worse off than yourself.

i use this to calm myself down if i start to get tense and weird.

good to read peoples understanding of the issue and sharing how to deal with it.

my stress is sooooooooo tiny in comparison to others!

wish there was a cure for working in a place where the guys spend literally every living moment trying to shaft each other and stab in back - its unreal!

Have to admit currently i am going with i turn up, do a job and at end of month get some money in bank. Its survival. we are told in 4 weeks it will be better when we get a new head gardener/combine 2 estates into one...................wait and see.

For those who like reading, just google national trust for scotland and redundancies to see what last year has been like. All i can say is waking up to posty having delivered a letter on a sat am saying you are at risk of redundancy without any warning sucks.

now deal with issues day to day, some worth caring about, some not!

• 9 months later...
When my dad died, there was a lot of stuff to sort out. One way and another he left a huge mess behind. on top of that the friendly guys we know as the HMRC decided it was a good time to investigate me and check me out. Things spiralled out of control in my head, I tried to be the "man" and deal with it all myself. BUt I couldnt, the headaches, the acid stomach, the mood swings, too snappy with everyone. Eventually I went to my GP, who had recently gone thru similar stuff himself, and straightaway he recognised the symptoms. I now use the answerphone, instead of leaping to my feet when the phone rings during meals, I meet people when it suits me, I relax far more, and I make "me" time. I now enjoy my work, my family, and my social life far more. I now , like many, use an accountant, the right person for the job, it takes all that pressure off, dont try and make do, its not worth it.

Make use of modern technology, email your quotes out, nothing more annoying than the Post Office losing important quotes.

If you have kids, make the most of them while they're young, mine are grown up now, the years go too quickly.

Most importantly, TALK if you start to suffer stress, to your wife/partner/friends/colleagues, dont suffer in silence and become a crotchety old git.:001_smile:

If there was a like button like fb then i wkuld apply it hear. Well said mate

I have discovered in the last few days that my short term memory is terrible, i watched a program with Dawn from Eastenders and it was about her dislexia, i can read and write no bother, my spelling, punctuation and neatness is pretty shocking though lol, but when she did a short term memory test with reading and identifying stuff that she was shown, she did better than me, i go out to my van and cant remember why i went there lol.

Since getting my iphone my life has become organised, i used to have a folder full of paper with headings and scribbles, most of them i couldnt understand or even read, then that folder would be in a carry case, and i would have a diary aswell. Then i would forget where i put the carry case thing and loose my diary ha ha, so organising my business, staff, jobs, money in, money out, jobs to price, people to call, etc. Vehicles to insure, rd tax, mot and i have always had about 3 vehicles. Then there is my family life, 2 kids. 1 at school, 1 to go to nursery, then all the doctors appointments, dentist blah blah blah.

I never knew if i was coming or going BUT now i have this little gadget in my pocket, that is always there. I set it up so it reminds me to do stuff, it has google maps, alarms, internet etc.Lots of apps to help me decide the best food to eat, and i can entertain myself looking at arbtalk while waiting for the kids at school.:laugh1:

Getting organised is 1 thing, finding a way to do it is another. Thank you Apple for helping me destress:thumbup:

my stress is sooooooooo tiny in comparison to others!

wish there was a cure for working in a place where the guys spend literally every living moment trying to shaft each other and stab in back - its unreal!

QUOTE]

I used to work for a LA and that was just the way of the world there. I decided to move on for that very reason and moved on to a housing association where i can honestly say it is really nice to work!! Probably spoken too soon as people are getting made redundant left right and centre but at the moment all is cool. I used to get really stressed and want to take on the world but have learnt that it's pointless fighting others battles for them and not to worry about things that are out of your control e.g job losses. It is obviously a worry but rather than stress find a solution to the problem. I know it's easier said than done but even if your post is made redundant there's other jobs out there. Keep your chin up you'll be ok i'm sure. Good luck:thumbup:

I know all about stress im 24 been building my company since 06 I have now learnt to be

a boss

a manager

a chainsaw mechanic

a chipper mechanic

human resources manager

recruiter

customer services officer

payroll manager

marketing coordinator

advertiser

promoter

a truck mechanic

office worker

secretary

accountant

book keeper

to name but a few and im only good a cutting trees all that crap is a side order.

Most people have one task think how many we have i work 7 days a week my mind never stops buzzing i get headache and stuff like that but when it all gets to much i just ignore the phone and limit my work to what ever i decide is ok,

Some people think no you should answer all your calls etc i think no thats the pressure that wreck you learn when your feeling stressed just book enough work increase your prices do less for more and you will find your business now works for you, stop working for it.

You create your own stress you can remove it all about choice.

:001_smile:

• 1 month later...
hi guys, stress has been brought up in another thread so i thought i would start a new one. i suffered from stress for a few years and didnt realise it, its horrible. i started my own business when i was 23 and it was great, loads of money and worked when i liked, but when i decided to BETTER MYSELF by expanding the business and taking on finance,staff and bigger jobs it all got too much for me, it wasnt untill i became a father i had to make a decision, sort myself out or keep digging in the huge hole i had dug, fiancially and in my personal life. i can spot stres i mile off now, so when i see my fellow arbtalkers showing signs i like to give them some friendly advice, everyone suffers from it in some way or another, i went for hypnotherapy. it was amazing. no hocuspocus running around like a chicken, but amazing advice from a professional who then puts your mind in a state to which it will absorb new information, i suffered form irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, insomnia, no energy, anxiety, anger, depression. the works but i caught it just in time. we are all good at cutting trees but what about running your life. talking and sharing is one of the best ways. so let it all out guys n girls:001_smile:

I think if we are really honest most of us have been there or are there, my stress came to the front last year when i collapsed at work - the docs thought it was a stroke but luckily (!) it was viral meningitis whose main cause is stress. Dont ignore or take it lightly it can creep up on you regardless of age etc. Tackle it ,admit you need a hand have a break or a day off and do something you enjoy that does not involve work, we all went into this industry because we love it stop and remember how to enjoy it again!