MEWP Usage

David Humphries

Very rarely MEWPs are needed for safety reasons and this would be the only time I would consider hiring one in.

That my friend, is the whole point of the thread.

MEWP usage is not about speed, money or getting to play with Big Boys Toys.

The Bottom line is about being at a place where the choice of Tree access is determined by the hazard.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That my friend, is the whole point of the thread.

MEWP usage is not about speed, money or getting to play with Big Boys Toys.

The Bottom line is about being at a place where the choice of Tree access is determined by the hazard.

Well said.

I obviously own the one on my avtar, it stands idle most of the time but I can think of many occasions I have used it when no other means were possible. Not unless you had a brain cosisting of two cells and lost the will to live.

I have also managed to do jobs cheaper with the MEWP because it saved two days on a job.

It's a load of bollocks that the mewp makes up for a lack of climbing skills. DIY'ers are probably more at risk in a mewp than on ladders. Especailly in mine, it is a complex machine which needs skill to use.

One problem you will find with tracked mewps and I have seen it happen, is they may climb 45 degree slopes and stairs no problem, but they tip extremely easy sideways, if you took one off a kerb it would tip over on it's side

Discing a tree down with a large bar saw is far easier, quicker and safer from a basket than on spikes. You can also do a take down lightning fast, faster than the ground crew can keep up.

If you are an irregular user, it can take longer because of the unfamiliar machine, but if you regularly use the same machine, you don't need to look at the controls.

Forget one for topping 12ft wide conifer hedges unless you are taking the top off previously untopped conifers.

I did a job the other month where we took the top 10ft off 40ft conifers which were in a sheltered location and only measured about 10 inch at the bottom.

The machine was set up in the middle and with 33 foot outreach to either side we managed to do the whole 60ft hedge without repositioning the machine.

The only other option was to use ladders, why take the risk if you have the machine. The customer paid £600 to have their conifers trimmed.

I was the cheapest quote. Non of the others had quoted to use a MEWP

If you have one, use it to your advantage.

Thats the point, sometimes it isn't.

I feel fairly well placed to say so being one of the few that has fallen from 45ft in one and survived.

It took me 12 months to regain my confidence climbing and I still shite my self each time I use one, I do believe I will never ever trust one fully again, but sometimes the risk is too much not to use one.

Well said.

I obviously own the one on my avtar, it stands idle most of the time but I can think of many occasions I have used it when no other means were possible. Not unless you had a brain cosisting of two cells and lost the will to live.

I have also managed to do jobs cheaper with the MEWP because it saved two days on a job.

It's a load of bollocks that the mewp makes up for a lack of climbing skills. DIY'ers are probably more at risk in a mewp than on ladders. Especailly in mine, it is a complex machine which needs skill to use.

One problem you will find with tracked mewps and I have seen it happen, is they may climb 45 degree slopes and stairs no problem, but they tip extremely easy sideways, if you took one off a kerb it would tip over on it's side

Discing a tree down with a large bar saw is far easier, quicker and safer from a basket than on spikes. You can also do a take down lightning fast, faster than the ground crew can keep up.

If you are an irregular user, it can take longer because of the unfamiliar machine, but if you regularly use the same machine, you don't need to look at the controls.

Forget one for topping 12ft wide conifer hedges unless you are taking the top off previously untopped conifers.

I did a job the other month where we took the top 10ft off 40ft conifers which were in a sheltered location and only measured about 10 inch at the bottom.

The machine was set up in the middle and with 33 foot outreach to either side we managed to do the whole 60ft hedge without repositioning the machine.

The only other option was to use ladders, why take the risk if you have the machine. The customer paid £600 to have their conifers trimmed.

I was the cheapest quote. Non of the others had quoted to use a MEWP

If you have one, use it to your advantage.

I feel this containes some sweeping generalisations,

Faster at discing down than on spikes? depends WHO is on the spikes!

40ft conifers can only be done from ladder or MEWP? I thnk not.

Many climbers can do a take down faster than the ground crew can keep up,but what would be the point?

I have been climbing for 14 years+ and never used a MEWP for a take down and never turned a tree down,there is imo always a way.

This is only my opinion others may not agree,that fine, I do not wish to tell anyone how to do there work and don't like anyone to tell me how to do mine.

I feel this containes some sweeping generalisations,

I have been climbing for 14 years+ and never used a MEWP for a take down and never turned a tree down,there is imo always a way.

I do not wish to tell anyone how to do there work and don't like anyone to tell me how to do mine.

Skyhuck this is in no way a dig at your undoubted skills and abilities but seriously, how can you opine on Pecontools point when as you state, in your 14 years + of climbing, you have never used a MEWP for a take down.

Surely this doesn't give you the ability to compare.

Pecontools is no doubt talking about experienced and trained users and not generalising IMO.

Skyhuck this is in no way a dig at your undoubted skills and abilities but seriously, how can you opine on Pecontools point when as you state, in your 14 years + of climbing, you have never used a MEWP for a take down.

Surely this doesn't give you the ability to compare.

Pecontools is no doubt talking about experienced and trained users and not generalising IMO.

Fair comment,but using your argument Pecontools can only compare his own skill/speed as a climber with his own skill/speed in the MEWP.

So I stand by my point that imo its a generalisation.

Wasn't under the impression there was anything on offer to win !

There are always different experiences and approaches to tackling situations.

Prudence dictates that arming yourself with as many tools and techniques as you can, will no doubt put you in the strongest possible position when the crunch comes.

This will go round in circles for ever! there will allways be them that do and them that don't use MEWPS.

I've witnessed the use of them a fair bit just lately and one thing is obvious a MEWP is no different to any other piece of plant in one respect that to get the most from it you need skill and experiance of operation. most people can pick the basics up quite quickly but at the end of the day it takes experiance to be an effective operator of any plant.