MEWP Usage

David Humphries

Some of the last few posts are exactly why this thread were started.

It has confirmed to me there is a more than noticable chasm between those in the industry who do consider and use,

and those that do not.

Its bloody obvious that there are huge financial considerations to deal with, hire costs, training, maintenance, storage, LOLER Certed etc... and some of us are fortunate to be in a position where other people pick up those tabs.

But ive seen plenty of instances where these can be costed in to quotes, and still leave a healthy profit.

The powers that be ie;

HSE, AA, ISA, LANTRA, NPTC et al

need to be more realistic with coming to terms with this percieved gap, and make access to training and related issues much more open to those who have the experience but maybe not the cash to jump on board, and get the majority in to a possition where MEWPS become a tool of choice and not just a financial one.

This may eventually seriously reduce the over subscribed list of climbing accidents we are all hearing/seeing and reading about far too often.

RANT OVER

:banghead:

I think the chasm you speak of may be between those who love to climb and those who see it as just part of the job,if i could no longer climb due to legisation I think I would seriously consider leaving the industry.

I believe the more you climb the safer you are due to you greater experience,if you were to use a mewp for much of you're work you skill levels would drop as would you're fitness,so when you did climb you would be less safe IMO

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All jobs have a price,well mine do,the profit is the gap between price and costs,so any extra cost ie mewp hire,eats into profit.If you do it for less because you don't use a mewp well thats just bad business!!!!!

You should only use equipment that reduces costs(if you wont to make money)ie i have hiab because the cost of the labour it saves is greater than the cost of the hiab,hence more profit.

well imo if you have fixed prices for trees to be climbed, y not have fixed prices for doing trees with mewps??

and if your fortunate to be able to buy a mewp the game on!

well imo if you have fixed prices for trees to be climbed, y not have fixed prices for doing trees with mewps??

and if your fortunate to be able to buy a mewp the game on!

I have no fixed prices IMO each job has a maximum price regardless of how you do it,the way you make money is to do the job in the most efficient way possible,ie least costs,so if the mewp is not going to save time,ie labour costs,greater than the cost to hire or own,then you are making less profit.

thats basic business.

why would you charge less for not using a mewp?

if there is money in the job to pay for a mewp then charge for one then don't use one and make more profit.

most of my work is take downs and storm damage where you would'nt want to climb,certainatly sometimes climbing is a better option.profitabilty is alot better now than when climbing fulltime due to the extreme temps also getting staff up here is next to impossible due to the current mining boom so mechanizing is the next best option

most of my work is take downs and storm damage where you would'nt want to climb,certainatly sometimes climbing is a better option.profitabilty is alot better now than when climbing fulltime due to the extreme temps also getting staff up here is next to impossible due to the current mining boom so mechanizing is the next best option

I agree in you situation that sounds like sound business.

I have never come across i job where a mewp will earn me more or speed up the job i just get an extra climber in same price as renting a mewp without all the time consuming training etc.

Although on a big asse conifer hedge row im talking 100+m only 25ft high im considering using one as in this case it will cut my time in half. But they are a pain having to move one then reset the legs untill there spot on.

Im 50/50 on mewps

I believe the more you climb the safer you are due to you greater experience,if you were to use a mewp for much of you're work you skill levels would drop as would you're fitness,so when you did climb you would be less safe IMO

A VERY valid point.

Especially the FITNESS angle !

But the more you climb, surely the less you would have the experience/skill to use MEWPS safely, (when or if considered)

What is the overiding factor that determines the correct balance ?

I do not feel comfortable that it is just finance!