MEWP Usage

David Humphries

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there good for crown lifting but i would not use them to fell a tree far easier to climb and drop it.

Surely that depends on it being safe to climb?! I used a tracked jobby, can't remember the name it was red. To help a mate dismantle a large dead ash. I'd use one again in similar circumstances.

Surely that depends on it being safe to climb?! I used a tracked jobby, can't remember the name it was red. To help a mate dismantle a large dead ash. I'd use one again in similar circumstances.

most trees are safe to climb, if they stood up to the last wind my 13 stone aint gonner make much difference IMO.

yes maybe so but you have to assess every job on its own merits and a lot will come down to personal preferance to the bloke doing the job and the practicalities.

There is a certain government organisation round here that requires as much work as possible to be carried out from a mewp

most trees are safe to climb, if they stood up to the last wind my 13 stone aint gonner make much difference IMO.

Cant agree with you there. What about all the stresses you put on the tree by removing parts of it and altering the balance. Not to mention rigging.

Dont get me wrong, I'v done my fair share of climbing on dodgy trees, but its not something i enter into lightly, and i certainly wouldnt say something like that to inexperienced climbers who dont have the experience to fully understand the implications in hazard tree removal and may just take that statement at face value.

there good for crown lifting but i would not use them to fell a tree far easier to climb and drop it.

but there handy.

Dismantling with a mewp is a skill that has to be learnt, just like climbing a tree and dismantling it.

For ringing down a big stem with an 88 i know which i'd rather do.

Cant agree with you there. What about all the stresses you put on the tree by removing parts of it and altering the balance. Not to mention rigging.

Dont get me wrong, I'v done my fair share of climbing on dodgy trees, but its not something i enter into lightly, and i certainly wouldnt say something like that to inexperienced climbers who dont have the experience to fully understand the implications in hazard tree removal and may just take that statement at face value.

At least if you're climbing you can feel the tree and get an idea if it stability,how safe is some one in a mewp if they make the wrong cut and the tree fails,also mewp can encourage people without the required skills to have a go imo