MEWP Usage

David Humphries

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be our motto.

If it makes life easier dont be a tit use it.

I will use any thing that takes the strain off me and we prob wont be allowed to climb trees in 50 years little robots with saw arms will buzz about ha ha.

or should it be only a tit would use it

Most arb related machines have there place, my experience of using M.E.W.P's have been reducing large conifer hedges, the machines in question can be quite alien to use as for me personally i am used to working from within the tree, not from the outside.

The last job i did for a regular customer i spent a week in one, unfortunately before we completed the work the machine had to go back to the hire shop, so the next few days was spent climbing, it was safe to say that the last few days our productivity increased, this was probably due to my complete lack of experience of using the machine.

I too like skyhuck enjoy climbing trees and it is to some degree why i was attracted to this industry, but when i get asked to remove a large tree which is basically un-climbable due to various reasons thats when i will consider a M.E.W.P.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Not great pics, But I'd forgotten about this little problem that occured during the summer floods. As the tree was large enough to block the river and the road the local Highways authority took charge. AS I say pics not great cos they haven't posted any pics before they started only halfway through the job.

I just wonder how many of the people that say mewps have no place in tree work would have climbed this!

http://www.george-walker.co.uk/Tree%20Care%20Slide%20Show%20for%20Website.html

I just wonder how many of the people that say mewps have no place in tree work would have climbed this! ]

After 15 years of climbing Rotten, Windblown and Storm Damaged Nightmares, i'm at a place where a MEWP is definately my first thought when considering how to safely tackle a job like that.

Obviously you've got to evaluate access, stability of root plate, potential alternative anchor points etc....

But there was a time when i would of been thinking..........

.....what the F*#K, that looks like a great climb and its a good day to die anyway !

( How stupid does that sound? )

(but its amazing what greying hair a couple of kids, not to mention a fair few near misses can have on your perspective.)

I know there's probably some out there who are thinking,

common old timer (i'm only 38 btw) it's time to hang up your harness and let the whipper snappers and the care free get on with the "dodgy ones"

You don't have to take my approach, because experience teaches us all differently, but please don't let yourself be lying in A&E thinking .............

...........f*#k, i really wish i had thought about using a MEWP !

even a scissor lift when on tarmac / concrete.

Hi all, just a word of advice, most small electric magic carpets are only approved for indoor use only, ie 0 mph/kms wind speed, plus some machines tilt sensor will only allow it to work within 1.5 degrees of a level surface.

Not to say that they aren't used out side, but if theres an accident HSE don't like it. Wind speed is normally on the machines ID plate.

I had to reduce some Acacia. Now Then - As you all know the latin name for Acacia is 'Spikeyus mungus' and I didn't really fancy the prospect of looking like a pin cushion.

The Cherry Picker was brilliant.....I put my company logo on it using magnetic graphics (as it was hired) for some advertising, and photos for my website.

Money well spent ...I think.

71798666.JPG

http://www.trees247.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

When I think of a MEWP I think of a piece of expensive kit that isn't going to earn me an extra penny - whether you buy one or hire one. Round here they're rarely used by tree surgeons, so if my quotes start including the cost of using a MEWP instead of just getting my lazy ass up the tree guess who ain't gonna get the job?! Very rarely MEWPs are needed for safety reasons and this would be the only time I would consider hiring one in. Remember, they don't make jobs any quicker to do and you need a second vehicle to get it to site because your truck is towing the chipper!