MEWP Usage

David Humphries

"the day i am made to use a mewp will be my last"

Yes and they used to think one would suffocated if you went above 30MPH in a motor vehicle.

They probably said the same thing about the tractor when that was first introduced.

You are right though, it is individual choice. If you do your own risk assessment and decide to climb a dangerous tree which then fails and kills you, that shouldn't be a problem, it's when your decision ends up killing someone else.

i meant when you can only use mewps i do believe they have ther place but one day they will try to enforce everyone must use mewps then i will give up

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and they used to think one would suffocated if you went above 30MPH in a motor vehicle.

They probably said the same thing about the tractor when that was first introduced.

You are right though, it is individual choice. If you do your own risk assessment and decide to climb a dangerous tree which then fails and kills you, that shouldn't be a problem, it's when your decision ends up killing someone else.

I think I should point out that I spent 6 years being made to use mewps on a daily basis clearing powerlines. So my opinion that mewps are a waste of time and money in 95% of tree jobs is based on experience.

With respect,did your decision to use yours not result in some one being quite seriously injured,and really your both lucky to have survived.

They have there place and people are free to use them if they wish,but people must be aware that MEWPs, just as many things in life, come with some risk.

Quite right, it did and no amount of risk assessment wood have forseen the accident.

I don't use mine 98% of the time, but we were talking about dangerous tree and whether it would be better to climb or Mewp them.

The fault that occurred on mine was probably 0ne in a million. The odds of a dangerous tree failing whilst climbing and especailly rigging are a vast sight more.

I really hope that we aren't made to use them, I was doing a take down yesterday (non mewp) using complicated rigging with help from another Arb and we really got a buzz from it. You don't get that with the mewp

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr123.pdf

If you have not already, i suggest everybody makes themselves familiar with the above link.

I am not making any generalising comments as to whether or not this should or does effect us all, my suggestion is; read the facts then decide for yourselves.

I will say however that MEWP usage as discussed in this thread, is appearing to be determined too often by profit margins alone rather than Risk Assessment.

Safety should be and surely is the overidding issue, whether it be Multi National, Local Authority or Struggling Small Arb Firm.

Be totaly aware of why you should be using a MEWP in the first place. Make counting the costs your second factor, in deciding whether or not to use.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr123.pdf

If you have not already, i suggest everybody makes themselves familiar with the above link.

I am not making any generalising comments as to whether or not this should or does effect us all, my suggestion is; read the facts then decide for yourselves.

I will say however that MEWP usage as discussed in this thread, is appearing to be determined too often by profit margins alone rather than Risk Assessment.

Safety should be and surely is the overidding issue, whether it be Multi National, Local Authority or Struggling Small Arb Firm.

Be totaly aware of why you should be using a MEWP in the first place. Make counting the costs your second factor, in deciding whether or not to use.

Well what have i learnt from reading that,

Firstly who ever under took the study knew little or nothing about tree work.

If you don't like physical exertion get a MEWP or ladders.I suppose they would suggest you go to the gym in the evening to keep fit?:alberteinstein:

If they are really up to 74% more efficient why have they not taken over the whole industry?

Oh and that if you want more money stop climbing trees and become a MEWP operator there on £280 per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well what have i learnt from reading that,

Firstly who ever under took the study knew little or nothing about tree work.

firstly have you ever used one your self in tree work?

If you don't like physical exertion get a MEWP or ladders.I suppose they would suggest you go to the gym in the evening to keep fit?:alberteinstein:

maybe im getting it all wrong but i thought the idea was to make the job easyer,most acidents happen when fatigued also isnt that why you have a mog with big chipper ect to make the job quicker?

If they are really up to 74% more efficient why have they not taken over the whole industry?

maybe its becouse like you and me (and i havnt used one in say 5 years since i worked for some one who had enough work and could afford to put it in the price with out worrying about it effecting the next buisnes loan payment coming out of his account) becouse they are expensive and we can do the job with out.....but companys that have the work many employers and cant afford too becouse there risk assements dont allow otherwise...

Oh and that if you want more money stop climbing trees and become a MEWP operator there on £280 per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are they?