Fuel lubricant for older diesel tractors

Alycidon

I use the fuel conditioner made by Lucas, it contains upper cylinder lubricants and also lubricates all the fuel system, including historicaly crap DPA pumps like the one fitted to your Massey.

We now use this in everything. old and new.

Google Lucas fuel additive for your local supplier

I would tend to put in what has been designed to do the job as said in post above. I know my engine has lube oil in the bottom of it so Getting it in the top should be less of a problem than 2 stroke which will not have been tested for use in my engine its for petrol engines. 2 stroke may be fine but has it been properly tested in diesel engines ?

I understood there were still 2 specifications of rebated diesel available, perhaps in part due to geography.

1 is simply dyed DERV

Tother is sometimes referred to as "Gas Oil" and is a cruder product with higher sulpher and therefore lubricity.

However;

Having put over 250,000 miles on der TDI Galaxy,

on the origional pump and injectors,

running on random clear diesel bought from respectable (ie non huckester ) sites.

And her was still starting in -15C winter of 2010 ,on a far from new battery.

But the fuel filter was changed every 30,000 miles per the service schedule.

Stuff yer hocus pocus additives.

regards

marcus

January of last year was the change over point for derv. Until then Ag diesel was old school, it was changed over to low sulphur on that date to meet modern tractors common rail inj requirements. The only difference now in red to road derv is the colour and whatever Shell/BP or whoever like to blend in with it. Cetane is diesels equivelant of Octane and i know different suppliers play with the content of that, also a few other burn clean bits and pieces go in there. Old school pumps will benefit from a tad of oil but quantities and grades are a contentious issue. Ordinary engine oil is ok to use but would need a thorough mixing prior to going in the tank, two stroke seems to be an expensive and unnecessary addition.

Bob

Old school pumps will benefit from a tad of oil but quantities and grades are a contentious issue. Ordinary engine oil is ok to use but would need a thorough mixing prior to going in the tank, two stroke seems to be an expensive and unnecessary addition.

Bob

On the contrary, I have found two stroke very economical to use. I'm not suggesting to use Stihl HP- 5 litres of your local motor factors cheapest scooter oil (so long as it's low ash, which from my research, which they all seem to be) is not expensive.

On the contrary, I have found two stroke very economical to use. I'm not suggesting to use Stihl HP- 5 litres of your local motor factors cheapest scooter oil (so long as it's low ash, which from my research, which they all seem to be) is not expensive.

Why low ash? That's low sulphur (mineral per se) which you want for the pump? Low ash for emissions, not pump lubricity!

I have had a good read up on this and an "expert" has come up with this.

To the OP: If your engine has a DPF then do not add 2-stroke oil as it will foul it up.

ULSD (Both Euro and US) is additized with lubricity enhancers to make up for the lubricity components which were removed along with the sulphur. Currently the max wear scar rating on US ULSD is 520um and Euro ULSD is ~460um(IIRC). Lower is better.

Diesel common rail manufacturers add coatings to the internals of their HPFP pumps when they're going to be fitted to vehicles which use diesel that has a little lower lubricity. US for example.

As for additives there is a plethora of products out there, but IMO nothing works better than biodiesel @ 2% (B2) for lubricity. It's just enough to be more than adequate and not so much that it'll cause problems if it's not up to par in terms of quality.

So its plain old cooking oil at the rate of 200:1 , now do we go for Mezola or Crisp and dry @ £1.50 ish a ltr :)

Bob

Edited by aspenarb