Is a truck and trailer reasonable

Harrycarpenter94

you have to be careful about going down that route being put down as a named driver when really you are the main driver as it could get you into trouble if something happened and the insurance company read into it. putting your parents down on your policy as a named driver however should reduce the cost in a perfectly legal way

'Fronting' on your insurance is a really obvious move to a insurance company.. It is not a wise move.

If you have a drama and the insurance company suspect or can show that you are the main driver of the set-up and your friend/family member have 'fronted the policy you will have a crisis!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need a tachometer for 3.5t and if the truck allows you can tow a additional 3.5t. Check your trucks spec. My td5 has a total train weight of 7t. Young drivers trailer rules, if your truck gvw is 3.5t you can tow a additional 750kg if your truck is say 2t gvw then you can tow a trailer with gvw of 1.5t (3.5t gvw combined)

Nissan cabstar tipper all the way, approx year 1997 slow but bomb proof, best tuck I owned. Plenty of load space and gets in narrow drives. It will get stuck on a wet road though.

None of that is true apart from the bit about a Cabstar getting stuck on a wet road.

I am not an expert on the matter by any means. Check with VOSA if you want an official version but even then 3 different VOSA people will give you 3 different answers.

If used for business a vehicle (including trailer if fitted) over 3.5t needs a tacho.

Young drivers can tow 750kg max, regardless of tow vehicles capabilities. This also includes tractors by the way.

None of that is true apart from the bit about a Cabstar getting stuck on a wet road.

I am not an expert on the matter by any means. Check with VOSA if you want an official version but even then 3 different VOSA people will give you 3 different answers.

If used for business a vehicle (including trailer if fitted) over 3.5t needs a tacho.

Young drivers can tow 750kg max, regardless of tow vehicles capabilities. This also includes tractors by the way.

Tractors, really I don't think your right

None of that is true

Come on, if you're going to insist you're right check you're facts first

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg

trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Come on, if you're going to insist you're right check you're facts first

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg

trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Peasgood is posting about Tacho requirements.. Not what you can tow on a licence. I am not sure he is right about that as I believe there is or a 100km exemption, either way it is totally different to what you are posting about.. I know nothing about tractors..

:sneaky2:

Peasgood is posting about Tacho requirements.. Not what you can tow on a licence. I am not sure he is right about that as I believe there is or a 100km exemption, either way it is totally different to what you are posting about.. I know nothing about tractors..

No, he said

Then

1, A young driver can tow over 750kg

2, and be under 3.5t, avoiding tacho

Also under 50km of base requires no tacho