The Mower Bench

GardenKit

We had a chap in on saturday,saying his ride on hadnt been right since we serviced it 3 yrs ago,Would you not have mentioned it sooner ,im sure i would,Then was a little upset when we wouldnt service it for free this year,as its never been right etc etc etc

Put a new shorter belt on the cub cadet today and what a difference it has made. The problem with the other belts is they were about 2 inches too long so there was alot of slack for the tension spring to take up which has worn the spring out. Because we are using it for verges we were using the mulching attachment to stop stones/wood pinging out of the discharge. On the heavy grass it struggled like crazy so we have come up with a solution... Use a piece of 3mm thick rubber matting as a "grass flap" over the discharge. It will only be held on by cable ties so easily removable.

The big question is for the mower folk... Would this be in breach of PUWER Regs as we are modifying the side discharge to stop/slow the grass before it reaches cars?

Yes, i have things like that too. Do they really think we will take them seriously after 3 years?

Funny you should mention the 3 years, as today I had a woman in with a Hayter Envoy electric mower. The bail bar (switch lever) would not hold the switch on.

Apparently it had not been right since I serviced it in March 2011!

But to be fair, it really looks like it has not been used for more than a few minute since I serviced it. It seems she became very ill in March 2011 and has only just got round to using the mower.

So how do I deal with this? The switch would have been OK when it left my shop.

And if it was not OK, then it was like it when it came in and it was not noticed (I am sure this is not the case)

Either way, we do not cause problems like this. Maybe we did not fix it, but we did not cause it.

Yet we take the blame anyway.

Just for a quiet life.

What fun we do have. Oh joy.

Honda Hrb 476 roller mowers.....

Do these things get slower with age? great mowers but i feel i have to push it more than usual! :sneaky2:

Also why do the roller bearings? or why is there lots of play in the roller up and down at one side? whats worn? shaft? bearing? roller? Any temp fix?

Honda Hrb 476 roller mowers.....

Do these things get slower with age? great mowers but i feel i have to push it more than usual! :sneaky2:

Also why do the roller bearings? or why is there lots of play in the roller up and down at one side? whats worn? shaft? bearing? roller? Any temp fix?

Age makes no difference to the machine, just the operator.:biggrin:

But wear and tear does make a difference.

It could just be a worn or loose drive belt, if so this is the easiest and cheapest option.

The internal clutch within the gearbox will wear and start to slip. It may be possible to adjust the cable to restore the drive, but if fully adjusted then the gearbox needs replacement, which is expensive.

(it is possible to dissmantle the box and pack out the selector to give it a bit more life, but in my opinion its not worth the effort for the little extra life it gives)

The roller is supported either side by ball bearings which tend to sieze.

The movement you have could be a worn, but unseized bearing, in which case new bearings will remedy.

BUT its most likely to be a siezed solid bearing, and the roller shaft will have rotated within the bearing and worn the shaft away. This requires a complete new roller and new bearings. (unless you have the skills and equipment to build up the shafts and machine back to size)

Hope this helps.

Hi Quick question about a Jacobsen Turfcat mower. We have a customer who is looking for hydraulic oil for it. The manual says 20w/20 which is an equivalent viscosity of Hyd 68 but a couple of people he has spoken to say Hyd 32. Have you got any ideas as he and myself are now confused.

Thanks

Jon

Age makes no difference to the machine, just the operator.:biggrin:

But wear and tear does make a difference.

It could just be a worn or loose drive belt, if so this is the easiest and cheapest option.

The internal clutch within the gearbox will wear and start to slip. It may be possible to adjust the cable to restore the drive, but if fully adjusted then the gearbox needs replacement, which is expensive.

(it is possible to dissmantle the box and pack out the selector to give it a bit more life, but in my opinion its not worth the effort for the little extra life it gives)

The roller is supported either side by ball bearings which tend to sieze.

The movement you have could be a worn, but unseized bearing, in which case new bearings will remedy.

BUT its most likely to be a siezed solid bearing, and the roller shaft will have rotated within the bearing and worn the shaft away. This requires a complete new roller and new bearings. (unless you have the skills and equipment to build up the shafts and machine back to size)

Hope this helps.

Right will look to see if any adjustment on cable and see if any better.

Also its a chain that drives the roller... wonder if they have some form of tensioner?

Right will look to see if any adjustment on cable and see if any better.

Also its a chain that drives the roller... wonder if they have some form of tensioner?

The roller is chain driven, with a spring loaded tensioner.

They do not slip, so that is not your problem.

But the tension rollers and the sprockets do tend to get 'packed' with grass debris, and the chain may shed.

Keep it all clean. You may need to 'dig' out the packed grass with a little screwdriver.