The Mower Bench

GardenKit

The side chute collector addition tube thing has always seemed like an utterly awful idea to me.

To be honest some are better than others. This one does work surprisingly well, but I never sell these as being a good collector as there are more suitable machines available.

But not everyone wants to collect, and these are great for quick cutting on large areas.

Not sure what the original suggestion was Dave, I do not attempt to fix them as at commercial labour rates it is just as cheap to replace the box, and guarantee the repair.

However, if you pull the mains haft apart you will find two cones which are forced together by the operating lever and take up drive in the back to back female cones of the the bronze pinion gear. As the cones wear, they move closer together until they touch in the middle and do not drive the pinion. If there is a spacer between the cones (not sure if there is in this one) you can make it thinner to allow the cones closer together, but you will also have to put a washer between the outer cone and the actuator arm or the cable will not pull the arm far enough.

Hope this is clear.

Wednesdays is our van run, so a turn round of mowers today. 24 mowers in and washed ready for service.

Why do people not look after their mowers I wonder?

The Honda is only 7 seasons old and rusted through, but I have noticed that Honda Izy mowers do tend to rust out before other makes, even some of the cheapy ones.

P1000876.jpg.e13d4c30f2b7e20ba7c37fcee1182b06.jpg

P1000878.jpg.892aae9d13ce2d2237c97dd5628bfcef.jpg

P1000879.jpg.5f2cec94fef114e143da8a9f8e0f0ad6.jpg

P1000882.jpg.0c590bf84a464aef0d4afe3d148ca458.jpg

P1000884.jpg.635c89daa6d132d85cd508b6360ef3d2.jpg

Not sure what the original suggestion was Dave, I do not attempt to fix them as at commercial labour rates it is just as cheap to replace the box, and guarantee the repair.

However, if you pull the mains haft apart you will find two cones which are forced together by the operating lever and take up drive in the back to back female cones of the the bronze pinion gear. As the cones wear, they move closer together until they touch in the middle and do not drive the pinion. If there is a spacer between the cones (not sure if there is in this one) you can make it thinner to allow the cones closer together, but you will also have to put a washer between the outer cone and the actuator arm or the cable will not pull the arm far enough.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks barrie

i think ive got what your saying

cheers mate :thumbup:

im really enjoying having ago :biggrin:

We just steam cleaned our BCS deck ready for its hammer change as the workshop wanted it as clean as possible. As i had the pressure washer out we did our cub cadet fine cut mower as the deck wash system on it leaves a fair bit clinging on. Got new blades on the way for the cub cadet as they are beyond sharpening now.

I must be the lucky one then.

Only got two tractors in. Three mowers.

But then one mower is due for the skip.

It's a sovereign mower with Briggs and Stratton engine. The pull cord had broken, and on these things the assembly is pop riveted onto the engine. So managed to sort that, but the engine was solid. OPC cable was working but the throttle and drive cables had given out.

So took the head off and the rockers had broken, bolts had snapped off. So checked the oil and no oil in it. So with this the owner has decided that the repair will not be worth it and it's cheaper to go buy a new mower.

So that one will either be going on the scrap saws for a good cause, with the deck and handles only. Or just going straight in the skip.