The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Good thread, can see me coming here often. I picked up a husqvarna M53s pro for £80. Gave it a little clean up, sharpened the blade and it does a good job. Front wheel drive felt weird for a start. Its got the Honda GCV engine and also suffers from hunting. If I push the throttle lever all the way forward to the choke position it runs fine but pull it back to where it should be fast and it is all up and down. Is it likely to be the carb?

Very likely to need a carb clean. The jets and nozzle get blocked easily on these carbs.

A deep clean will normally do it, but just occassionally we have to fit a new carb.

Always tip the mower towards the oil filler, otherwise the oil will end up in the air filter and carb. Threads are always normal AFAIK, like angle grinders. Folk often think they need to be reverse thread to stop the blade coming off, but that's not the case.

I have found a good rule to follow is: undo the retaining nut/bolt in the direction the blade spins

slim

Edit: But if blade spins anti clock when viewed from underneath and has a locking tab, it could be a RH thread and not a L Hander

Edited by slim reaper

I have found a good rule to follow is: undo the retaining nut/bolt in the direction the blade spins

slim

Edit: But if blade spins anti clock when viewed from underneath and has a locking tab, it could be a RH thread and not a L Hander

Tried to edit again but could not, Above should read clockwise and not anti clock.

slim

Just been looking at the kaaz mowers the Kaaz LM5360HXA-HST-PRO is almost identical to the Lawnflite and honda pros. Is there any difference between the 3????

We have nearly 14 years of using Honda Pros,HRH536 hydrostatic drive and can't fault them. Looking at the Tube vid of the Kaaz, that looks to have the same thin alloy deck of the older honda domestic mower that corroded through if left dirty. I can't tell 100% but the hydro controls look to be just a push bar from stop to flat out

The pro has the same push bar but also a variable selector lever that controls how fast the push bar make the mower go when fully forward

slim

I've changed a few of these gearbox's, they are tricky. It involves drilling out pop rivets that hold a bearing in place. I've also successfully repaired them by opening up the gearbox and replacing the spacer which the clutch mechanism presses against for a slightly longer one thus taking up the slack. I have seen them where the spacer which is made of plastic has melted due to the friction of the parts rubbing together. In my opinion they are poorly designed, nothing like older Honda's.:thumbdown:

Ok

following on from yesterday with the honda hrb 425

had another half hour in the work shop

striped off the roller, but coundnt get gearbox out ,because this gear would not come off:blushing:

knocked the roll pin out, but it wouldnt move

so ordered some pullers, and have another go when they arrive (its nice to buy some shinny tools):biggrin:

004.jpg.3b3f1d6b548b3273312384e9c1d3aa47.jpg

003.jpg.877d0023c62adea86f2ed92044506957.jpg

We have nearly 14 years of using Honda Pros,HRH536 hydrostatic drive and can't fault them. Looking at the Tube vid of the Kaaz, that looks to have the same thin alloy deck of the older honda domestic mower that corroded through if left dirty. I can't tell 100% but the hydro controls look to be just a push bar from stop to flat out

The pro has the same push bar but also a variable selector lever that controls how fast the push bar make the mower go when fully forward

slim

I agree slim

iv got a couple of Pros,HRH536 hydrostatic drive fantastic machines:thumbup:

heavy mind :sneaky2:

in fact ive got one that just doesnt drive very fast

i done ajustment on the cable but still drives slow:confused1:

any ideas :001_huh:

I agree slim

iv got a couple of Pros,HRH536 hydrostatic drive fantastic machines:thumbup:

heavy mind :sneaky2:

in fact ive got one that just doesnt drive very fast

i done ajustment on the cable but still drives slow:confused1:

any ideas :001_huh:

If you have not tried already, adjust the cable with the red lever all the back and the push lever forward till you have the slowest speed you require, then try the top speed position.

If its still not fast enough, what have you got the engine revving at?

slim