The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Ok

following on from yesterday with the honda hrb 425

had another half hour in the work shop

striped off the roller, but coundnt get gearbox out ,because this gear would not come off:blushing:

knocked the roll pin out, but it wouldnt move

so ordered some pullers, and have another go when they arrive (its nice to buy some shinny tools):biggrin:

Yeah, pullers should get it off no problem, then drill out the pop rivets and all will become clear! If you've took the roller out check the bearings, they tend to seize up and wear through the shaft! And good luck putting the chain and tensioner back with all the spacers and washers etc!:thumbup1:

Yeah, pullers should get it off no problem, then drill out the pop rivets and all will become clear! If you've took the roller out check the bearings, they tend to seize up and wear through the shaft! And good luck putting the chain and tensioner back with all the spacers and washers etc!:thumbup1:

Thanka ady

pullers came today,so will hopefully have time tomorrow

:thumbup::thumbup:

Would need the model code, normally found under the seat. The trouble with Mtd parts is the price though, which would likely make the decision easy.

Scrap it, get another mower!

Seriously though, you have done the work now, make the most of it.

Urgh MTD. :sneaky2: the most stressful mowers on the planet, wait until he tries to replace the belts hey Barrie...... And then trying to set up the drive again.... That should make for some interesting posts :lol::lol:

Looking into a mowing job for the next 3 years.

I quite fancy something like this....[ATTACH]147840[/ATTACH]

Or would I be better of with the versatility of a tractor. It's not bowling green work. Mainly the edges of rides.

Cheers!

The husky ride ons are IMO very good, but still don't beat stiga. As with them all maintain them well and they will look after you. Also mulch deck so it's a weekly cut. Wouldn't leave it more than that or it will just leave big clumps of cut grass.

Hi Guys. Great new thread. We run a John Deere 455 with a 48" deck. It gives a really nice cut and collects well but at end of last season we started to get a narrow line in the cut as if two of the blades weren't quite cutting all the grass where they should (I assume) overlap the cuts. Is there a specific orientation the blades should be set at. Blades are sharpened regularly and all the bearings in the deck feel OK. Any suggestions. Thanks

After a week of 2 strokes its now back to tackling the 11 tractor mowers that have built up this week.

First up today was this Westwood S1300M

Now, I am not a fan of the Westwood/ Countax machines.

Plus points:- 1) Its British

2) There is no 2

Minus points 1) Its British

i hate to knock a British made product but this manufacture is complacent. When these were first introduced 30 odd years ago they were good. Basic but good.

But now many other manufacturers have entered the market and constantly upgraded their kit until there is now some very good stuff around (MTD excluded). But Countax have done next to nothing.

They suffer from poor electrics, poor belt drive systems, poor linkages, poor deck hangings, poor steering components, poorly made decks which rust quickly.

They do however have a good chassis. everything else is, in my opinion rubbish.

This one was no exception. The deck hangers at the rear had not been properly welded and had broken on one side. Its not the first time I have seen this, but on this one the front hangers were at least still intact. The clutch operation on the manual transmission versions is diabolical, its difficult to pull away without the front wheels leaving the ground. This one has been slightly improved by fitting a cloth wrapped belt instead of the original 'raw edge'

But, strangely, Westwood and Countax owners love their machines and will not hear a word said against them.

They are, after all, British.

Urgh. My list of mower I hate, MTD and countax. That's it.

I have seen the broken weld aswell. It actually took me a few looks to see it tho. Must be catching up with you and Steve on the age front. :lol:

Just couldn't get the deck to line up level, then saw the broken bracket.