The Mower Bench

GardenKit

and having input I hope!

if i can but you are the man if you can't sort it no one can

i have a new side line down here i am braking machinery for spares if uneconomical to repair

so doing my bit for recycling if any members need a part give me a shout i will see if i have it

Edited by BILLSMOWERS

Great idea.. While we do get involved with trees we are mostly grounds maintenance so this will be interesting... Plus as far as i can find there isn't any forums that cover landscaping or grounds/garden maintenance and certainly nothing that is as well populated as arbtalk..:thumbup:

Ok Here we go

i finally got round to putting new belt on Honda HRB425c OXE

the best way i can describe problem is to say it had a week drive !

on a slope it just wound'nt drive on the flat it would be ok, unless it was long grass

So set about changing belt, took me awhile put it all back and guess what:blushing:

The mower is still the same:001_rolleyes:

the drive cable seems to work ok, i did notice the bearing didnt feel very smooth

(not sure that would affect drive:confused1:

ive got a good few pro hondas and they dont have belt drive ,so this is a bit new to me

any help pls ?

006.jpg.1955648300a72f3f1cc2ed4208d703d7.jpg

005.jpg.12cd9a39658f86bcd77a9d2f7d61d6c5.jpg

004.jpg.fe1cb78ad850cc85a3154b6b29917d42.jpg

003.jpg.d7b478d1a475d30eeaebbd7a58ed27fc.jpg

001.jpg.6a9a0d4a7756075e8ab02128e13bb430.jpg

I've got a Hayter Harrier 56 on my bench.

The wheels have broken (they are only 6 months old), the alloy deck is cracked in multiple places as it's rubbish, the engine won't run properly (because it's a Briggs) and of course the drive has failed. It will also only fill it's collecting bag half full before choking.

It's going in the skip and a Lawnflite 533 Pro is replacing it.... :lol: :lol: The best pro mower out there for a contractor. Solid, reliable Honda engine and will pick up wet grass until the bag is stuffed so full you can barely lift it. It's twice the mower for about £100 more.

I am not a fan of Hayter for the reasons you state, and more besides. But I am a fan of the Briggs engine, if it runs poorly it can easily be fixed.

The Lawnflite pro mower is made by Kaaz and is also available from Danarm. It is, as you say, a very good choice for the pro user. Just make sure the engine revs are correct, they tend to be a little low 'out of the box' and will make it a very slow mower to use.

Sound great to me, got a problem with my Izzy hunting unless on full revs, will have to go to shed to look up model number etc and that's not happening in this weather! :D

Bob, the GCV engine is prone to carburation issues. It simply will not tolerate contaminated fuel.

It is generally easily fixed though, by taking it off (bit of a fiddle) and removing the main jet and nozzle for cleaning. A good blast with an airline is good, but an ultrasonic clean is better. Clean the main jet hole and mixing nozzle holes with thin wire 'pics' . It will hopefully then be OK. If not a new carb may be the best bet.

I do not have any pics in my file of this, but will try to take some next time I have one apart.

Good idea. I don't have a bench but do have an Asuka that doesn't seem to have enough power.

I shall be watching closely.

Make sure the carb is clean, also the air filter. The spark arrestor in the exhaust could be blocked, especially if its burning a bit of oil.

Ok Here we go

i finally got round to putting new belt on Honda HRB425c OXE

the best way i can describe problem is to say it had a week drive !

on a slope it just wound'nt drive on the flat it would be ok, unless it was long grass

So set about changing belt, took me awhile put it all back and guess what:blushing:

The mower is still the same:001_rolleyes:

the drive cable seems to work ok, i did notice the bearing didnt feel very smooth

(not sure that would affect drive:confused1:

ive got a good few pro hondas and they dont have belt drive ,so this is a bit new to me

any help pls ?

The belts on those machines are generally pretty good and last well. They can be tensioned with the allen screw adjuster under the gearbox which pushes the the gearbox pulley rearward.

The internal clutch in the gearbox is prone to wear. This can initially be adjusted out by adjusting the cable at the handle end (lengthen the outer cable)

But it is not at all uncommon to have to replace the gearbox on these machines.

If its fully adjusted and the pulley rotates, but the roller does not go round under load then the box has had it.

The Briggs engines are OK, but not a patch on Honda. But then, they're about half the price like for like.

I have Briggs on my shredder and billy goat, they're OK ish. If I could swap them for a Honda for say £50 I would do so in a heartbeat.

I would agree that the Honda GX engines are brilliant, almost as good as a Kawasaki.

But the GCV engines found on most sub £800 machines are nowhere near as good. A Briggs quantum, or their OHV engines are far superior.

And I do see rather a lot of engines!

The belts on those machines are generally pretty good and last well. They can be tensioned with the allen screw adjuster under the gearbox which pushes the the gearbox pulley rearward.

The internal clutch in the gearbox is prone to wear. This can initially be adjusted out by adjusting the cable at the handle end (lengthen the outer cable)

But it is not at all uncommon to have to replace the gearbox on these machines.

If its fully adjusted and the pulley rotates, but the roller does not go round under load then the box has had it.

Thanks barry

i think you are right :001_rolleyes:

just to make sure ive been adjusting the gearbox pulley right. ive turned the allen screw clockwise all the way in (is that right)