A timely reminder RE bird nesting

Yorkshireman

does it cover pigeons and magpies nesting in street trees

Yes. Even pest spp are protected. I think it has to be an H&S issue with the tree that allows disturbance of any nesting birds. One of the reasons we now avoid conifers from March to Sept. The pigeons ain't too bad but can never see the greenfinches nest till it's too late.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pigeons ain't too bad but can never see the greenfinches nest till it's too late.

Ditto, seven or so years ago I cut down a small conny hedge that had been there sometime and trimmed regular so it was really dense, did'nt see the Wren nest or the Greenfinch nest until they hit the deck. I took home six feathered Wrens and three baldy Greenfinches. The wife took three weeks off work to hand rear the lot and they all survived........Cost me a bloody fortune so now I check everything properly.

where do we stand with Magpies and pigeons (flying rats) and doves?

They are protected, I was talking to an expert on such things yesterday, it turns out that to shoot birds on the vermin list you have to have a good reason. You need to be able prove they are causing a genuine problem, IE eating your crops.