A timely reminder RE bird nesting

Yorkshireman

wood pigeon nest most of the year as im sure you know but i dont think commercial forestry stops at any point please correct me if im wrong

I was only thinking the other day when watching the felling of all that Larch due to SOD on the news, many of them were covered in ivy and were being felled by an excavator with a processor head. Any nesting birds would have had no chance.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, out in the sticks where I grew up Pigeon were and are regarded as vermin and they were and are shot on sight.

A close relative of mine lives on the coast and they have a major problem with sea gulls, mainly because naive tourists feed them so they call in a licensed marksman to deal with them, this marksman guy has received death threats for his actions.

• 6 months later...
Funny, out in the sticks where I grew up Pigeon were and are regarded as vermin and they were and are shot on sight.

You can shoot the pigeon leaving or returning to the nest (i.e. in flight)provided you follow the BASC pest species guidelines and have permission to shoot the land but cannot disturb it on the nest.

Time to set your thoughts to this.... its only 2 weeks away guys

God bless taking almost 6 months to get a felling licence in place to do a months worth of woodland works in a matter of days. The birds were out last week before it came through and now I'm fully expecting not to get this years work completed and will have to put some of it off until next autumn! There's nothing like a bit of pressure!

God bless taking almost 6 months to get a felling licence in place to do a months worth of woodland works in a matter of days. The birds were out last week before it came through and now I'm fully expecting not to get this years work completed and will have to put some of it off until next autumn! There's nothing like a bit of pressure!

That's the reason we started to make charcoal as some work sites unsuitable for felling in and need to keep working while the birds are nesting. Still see people cutting hedges all the nesting season.

• 2 years later...