Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

That's a bud on SawHawgz. I am actually not a fan of tubes, though I have one on this 361 I am working on. I am strange when it comes to muff mods. I prefer simple louvers to drilling and bolting, or brazing stuff onto the muffler. I also think they sound and flow better than deflectors, and unless you look hard - you can't even tell they've been done much of the time. Pipes, though, can sound amazing. I just don't like the look. You'll understand how much the look bothers me when you see how I have it done on my 361. I'll try and post up an image later on. I have my replacement handlebar due in today(the original was slightly smashed on this saw - saving chassis with it's sacrifice). Rob has a nice new Sugi Light bar enroute to me. I'll put up images once it arrives and I have done some testing with the saw.

Well, here it is at long last. Some of the guys on my other "Whats on your Bench" thread aren't in to porting so thought I should split out this type of chainsaw modification for those with similar interests.

Personally, I got fed up with just repairs and did a blokes "I wonder what would happen if....":001_rolleyes::lol:

I purchased three 346XPs, two were for resale and the third......got ported and I never looked back - the results of the porting sounded and felt great so the porting bug stuck.

Currently I am working on an old 066 that will be a real beast once done but that will appear soon.

Today it has been MS441 tuning, the ring end runs down the side of the exhaust port messing up any chance of widening it unless you want a lop sided port and uneven blowdown:thumbdown:

The saw is a strato so left the porting and recommended just a simple muffler mod - I had two diameter pipes I could have used, a simple hole would have a similar effect but like to make the finished job look good so chose the smaller of the two.

Good thing I did as it is suitably loud. I also openend up the existing hole. Pickup is faster now and am happy with the look:thumbup:

So Gents, a start of what will hopefully be another great thread:thumbup:

Looking forward to getting stuck in to this thread. Excellent move to split it.much appreciated spud.

I want can u get the full front handles in the uk looks so sexy :lol::lol:

The full wrap kit is getting harder to come by nowadays since the 361 hasn't been sold in the states for years. The parts number is:

1135 007 1007

That includes bolts, high discharge clutch cover(useful on ported 361's in softwoods and noodling), full wrap, new stiffer upper AV mount, two slightly larger felling spikes, and a scrench AKA spanner for specifically reaching the bar nuts with the wrap on.

Phfff.

All this talk of porting and better performance and a great noise, i would suggest gettin one of these instead :thumbup:

This was the saws first day out aftet rebuild.

Or maybe we already had that covered....

146119407.iCyNUf6L.jpg

Here's the latest project in all her glory. A PNW MS361 with a bit of lathe work done to her and a few bits replaced this day. A new bar is also on the way from Rob:

154158873.4ppNuF9l.jpg

154158872.BefBcLtT.jpg

That's one nice looking saw, I'd like to do something similar with a port job and a bigger bar for chogging down, I want a full wrap handle for my 576xp

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App