Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Due mainly to the piston and cylinder design, the Husky 346, 372, 390xp and the Stihl MS361 show great improvements with even mild porting. With woods or race porting, and some mild machine work, they are monsters.

Environmental protection agency? The instigator of those non tamper carb screw caps.

PAH! PARTY POOPERS.

This is what a McCulloch 7-10(71cc) saw sounded like nearly 40 years ago before the EPA came into play - the mufflers were mostly there to keep one from going completely deaf - go to 1:50:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2kup0ZO-s]McCulloch 7-10 - YouTube[/ame]

Hi Charles, the 372 is a tried and tested formulae that many I have done saws for really rate :thumbup:

Yup, but the 576 needs some work anyway, the 372 already works ok! Lol

Ps add to this thread- still love my 346xp and 200t spud did for me :D

What about modifying chains etc on ported saws? Eg taking depth gauges down more? And different sprokets? Should my 346 have a different sproket to put the chain speed up? :/

Yup, but the 576 needs some work anyway, the 372 already works ok! Lol

Ps add to this thread- still love my 346xp and 200t spud did for me :D

What about modifying chains etc on ported saws? Eg taking depth gauges down more? And different sprokets? Should my 346 have a different sproket to put the chain speed up? :/

I was surprised I didn't hear more about the 346XP - glad you like it:thumbup:

On sprockets etc, you could fit a 13" bar on the 346XP and then an 8 pin rim, that will get it going a bit but make sure the oiler is turned right up, that chain will spin a fair bit faster.

If the saw can pull decent revs in the cut, without bogging, the depth gauges can be lowered but bear in mind, the chain may be rougher in the cut causing more vibration.

The last thing you can do is square file your chain which makes it super aggressive if done correctly. You need the correct files to do it and getting the angles right isn't easy - I have not done this before anyone asks!

You can also try changing the angle of the cutters on your chain - like some do on softwoods!

[quote name=

What about modifying chains etc on ported saws? Eg taking depth gauges down more? And different sprokets? Should my 346 have a different sproket to put the chain speed up? :/[/quote]

I have a spud ported 346 that Steve did for me probably 3 tears ago maybe more ( probably one of the first ) and it pull a 15" bar full chisel driven by an 8 pin rim no problem . :001_smile: