Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

The saw is my own, it is an old "red eye" model that had a blown coil. The coil had to be replaced with a later model which threw the ignition timing out so had to sort this out at great time with timing lights, timing wheel and keyway modification but I think I got it right.

The saw has been ported and has a pop up for greater compression....but no decomp so is kicking a bit! Just needs some felling spikes on it and some time from my mate Burrell for big wood and a comparison saw and bar.

There will be a vid and hope it survives and goes well. It sounds good on a muffler mod but have a racing expansion pipe off a Kawasaki to mod and attempt to fit - the CC, stroke and peak revs were similar to this saw so should make a bit more power - just playing TBH, interested in what can be done and didn't cost a fortune.

The biggest change was the piston and the blowdown figure - 18.5* if Wes is online:001_rolleyes::lol:

Glad to hear it , cos im looking around for an 064 /066 , ms 660 or similar sized husqy for you to breathe your magic on ... hopefully :001_smile::001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone just a quick question, as anyone ported the muffler on the 020 or the 076, and I sir worth porting these saws?

Regards Richard

020/200t yes, quite a power gain. The 076 is a bit different, due to the carb. It was built and designed when there were no emissions laws and has a fairly free flowing muffler and due to the welding, you could only add one extra slit either side of the existing ones. Back to the carb, the carb is fitted with a limiter, which kicks in as the saw reaches around 10k rpm, making it quite difficult to tune. The limiter can kick in when the saw is free-revving, but cause the saw to be lean when under load. Secondly, I don't know what you seek to gain with the 076, it has more torque than an 880 if I recall correctly, and will pull the same bars and bigger.

I've been looking through this thread and couldn't see anything about a Husky 455 rancher with x - torque. The saw runs fine on a 15" bar (not the quickest ) but I'm looking to stick a 18" bar on it. My question is would it be worth getting ported or indeed can it be ported?

Hi thanks for the reply I've got 3x 020's i would like to mod one these a bit more rpm ect,

The 076 was a bit misleading sorry, I have just purchased a ts 760 in pretty good nick, and I want to convert it to the 076? Strictly for milling, and I was fishing for info.

Regards Richsark

Hi thanks for the reply I've got 3x 020's i would like to mod one these a bit more rpm ect,

The 076 was a bit misleading sorry, I have just purchased a ts 760 in pretty good nick, and I want to convert it to the 076? Strictly for milling, and I was fishing for info.

Regards Richsark

That's a hell of a lot of modding to convert back to a saw, you'll need an oil pump fitting, including drilling the crankcase in several places. This involves splitting and the crank seal on the flywheel side is NLA in uk. Hopefully it has the bar nuts, so you can fit just a clutch. Then there's the handle assembly, as you'll need the whole top of the saw.

I've been looking through this thread and couldn't see anything about a Husky 455 rancher with x - torque. The saw runs fine on a 15" bar (not the quickest ) but I'm looking to stick a 18" bar on it. My question is would it be worth getting ported or indeed can it be ported?

Yes, it can be ported, oddly, all the home owner models are second gen x-torq.