Tuliptree wood any good?

Woodworks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky collect some for free just before Christmas. Some reasonably big pieces in there and they have some terrific colours running through them. It varies from yellow through to dark blue and if the colour stays as it dries then I do hope to try turning some.

The wood is very wet and will take some time to dry. I've split and racked a load to dry and season for the burner. Some of it seems very fibrous and doesn't split cleanly yet the main trunk splits very clean indeed.

That is some nice looking wood that. I wonder where that came from :thumbup: I might have another to come down at the same site which has some basal decay so may present some more interesting colours. I also have a yew to come down with a nice straight section some 10 feet long by 14 inch diameter. That is another story though

That is some nice looking wood that. I wonder where that came from :thumbup: I might have another to come down at the same site which has some basal decay so may present some more interesting colours. I also have a yew to come down with a nice straight section some 10 feet long by 14 inch diameter. That is another story though

Came from a very decent chap indeed:thumbup::thumbup:

Still busy logging the last lot but if you need to get rid then drop me a line. Hope you had a good Festive break. The yew sounds very interesting especially as I will be investing in an Alaskan in the coming months.:001_smile:

Si will also probably be interested.

tulip that colour is often known as "rainbow poplar" for obvious reasons and some should really be kept for turning purposes as the mineral content of the soil is quite specific to get those colours and when sold in the states it can go for quite a high price especially if there is any figure in it which there often is.

rough cut a few planks with the chainsaw and sell them...

tulip that colour is often known as "rainbow poplar" for obvious reasons and some should really be kept for turning purposes as the mineral content of the soil is quite specific to get those colours and when sold in the states it can go for quite a high price especially if there is any figure in it which there often is.

rough cut a few planks with the chainsaw and sell them...

:thumbup:

Thanks Steve,

Will give it a go as its far too good to burn, the colours are terrific. It is incredibly wet that's probably the norm with it being part of the pop family.

Edited by Gardenmac

should dry out fairly well even in the thicker section. nepia wants a platter turned from a bit of ther tree he delivered to me today and the only bit big enough is 17" and has already been split and i'll cut it in to a 2 1/2" platter blank and would expect it to be dry by august if rough turned.

it's got nowhere near as much colour as your stuff but shall do my best with it.

if you get some decent blanks or even half logs i'll be interested.