Granberg precision grinder

jamesd

Been looking at buying one of these for a while now and was just wandering how they worked etc. and is it worth it?

I'll many be using it to get a really good edge on the chain for milling. Could i also sharpen hedge cutters with it by taking off the guide? or is that not possible? (just a thought!)

Cheers, James

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been looking at buying one of these for a while now and was just wandering how they worked etc. and is it worth it?

I'll many be using it to get a really good edge on the chain for milling. Could i also sharpen hedge cutters with it by taking off the guide? or is that not possible? (just a thought!)

Cheers, James

HI JAMES ROB on here sales them mate I've not use my one yet thanks jon :thumbup:

Cheers, James

I have one, and I really rate it (should also mention that I do a lot of Rob's online tech support, but I bought the grinder before then!).

The grinder clamps on to the bar as shown in the video below:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5shPjj-i8]chainsawbars.co.uk - Granberg 12volt precision ginder - G1012XT - YouTube[/ame]

It's pretty straightforward - there is a referencing point for the back of the tooth and the base of the tooth and you then set up the length, depth (hook angle) and angle against the shortest tooth and grind away until all of them are done on one side, then do the same on the other (you need to use some verniers to get the first one set up for length).

It's very quick and everything comes out identical which makes milling very smooth and as fast as possible.

Alec

If you Mill, I vouch for it. Also for firewood/General use even. It takes the error out of the chain when used correctly. Takes longer for me than a hand file. But if you do it when everything needs trueing, excellent bit of kit. Im not affiliated with Chainsawbars. But have been a happy customer.

several threads have covered various opinions on this. Try Granberg and file perhaps in search tab.

I have been sharpening saws 20 years, so think I'm ok at it:001_tt2:

But this thing will get them sharper than they come from the factory!

Get plenty of spare stones for all your saws, I just use mine at the end of the day to tidy the cutters up and file by hand on site.

If your near dorset you are welcome to see mine

Cheers :thumbup:

I have one on loan and trial, so far am very impressed with it and will be getting one shortly. It has saved two chains from been scrapped and cutting like a good un now. Yes it takes a bit longer to sharpen than by hand but the quality and consistency am finding chain stays sharper for longer so not sharpening as frequently.