Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

You could try steaming, rather than frying at least some of your food. Also, instead of bathing the pan in oil, then immersing your food therein. Use a non stick pan and only use the merest hint of oil, for lubricating the pan's surface, rather than being the heat transfer medium.

Use veg or nut oil instead of lard. Replace butter with spread or better still, forget the spread/butter altogether. Start looking as contents. Even sweet things like jam and chutney often have salt in them. Go for the low salt option. Yes one needs salt, as other minerals. But only trace amounts; not the strata some apply to every meal. Things like baked beans and many tinned veg, are already salted, so why add more?

Less salt equals less taste for some. But give it a go and soon you'll begin to taste what you've been missing; not the seasoning you've been adding. If you really can't 'taste' without lots of seasoning. You have to ask yourself, am I eating this because I like the basic ingredients or because I like the taste of the seasoning?

Edited by TGB

You could try steaming, rather than frying at least some of your food. Also, instead of bathing the pan in oil, then immersing your food therein. Use a non stick pan and only use the merest hint of oil, for lubricating the pan's surface, rather than being the heat transfer medium.

Use veg or nut oil instead of lard. Replace butter with spread or better still, forget the spread/butter altogether. Start looking as contents. Even sweet things like jam and chutney often have salt in them. Go for the low salt option. Yes one needs salt, as other minerals. But only trace amounts; not the strata some apply to every meal. Things like baked beans and many tinned veg, are already salted, so why add more?

Less salt equals less taste for some. But give it a go and soon you'll begin to taste what you've been missing; not the seasoning you've been adding. If you really can't 'taste' without lots of seasoning. You have to ask yourself, am I eating this because I like the basic ingredients or because I like the taste of the seasoning?

With respect, no no no.

Butter is a hundred times better for you than processed vegetable oils. Lard is even better as it's direct from the animal.

Fat is good. Paleo/keto is running your body on fat and protein instead of carbohydrates. Feed it the best fats you can. Not highly processed veg oil.

Excess of carbohydrates, particularly sugar, is the main reason people get fat.

Agree re the salt, your body will tell you what you need. I know when I need more salt, then it's time for a Marmite broth! :thumbup:

With respect, no no no.

Butter is a hundred times better for you than processed vegetable oils. Lard is even better as it's direct from the animal.

Fat is good. Paleo/keto is running your body on fat and protein instead of carbohydrates. Feed it the best fats you can. Not highly processed veg oil.

Excess of carbohydrates, particularly sugar, is the main reason people get fat.

Agree re the salt, your body will tell you what you need. I know when I need more salt, then it's time for a Marmite broth! :thumbup:

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Crikey this diets a cracker if it a cure for alcoholism too:thumbup1:

So my fav weekend brekkie of fried onion, garlic and tomato's topped off with fried eggs then heavily seasoned with chilli flakes and black pepper is ok then ?

Just got to cut out the salt and the toast to mop up all the slodge with.

Much better than a grain based breakfast. However, if you are trying to shed weight via ketosis, the onion and tomatoes probably have a touch too many carbs.

Crikey this diets a cracker if it a cure for alcoholism too:thumbup1:

So my fav weekend brekkie of fried onion, garlic and tomato's topped off with fried eggs then heavily seasoned with chilli flakes and black pepper is ok then ?

Just got to cut out the salt and the toast to mop up all the slodge with.

Much better than a grain based breakfast. If you're on a maintenance Paleo diet then it's probably great. However, if you are trying to shed weight via ketosis, the onion and tomatoes probably have a touch too many carbs.

Friend who teaches keep fit has been on very high meat diet ( is that paleo?)

She had heart attack and stroke in december

Bit rough at 48

This needs careful thinking about

My gut feeling ( and boy do I have some gut) is tat you should avoid at all costs processed food especially sugar .......

But then I am sugar addict

Interesting topic,,,,Ive given up beer most january`s for the last five yrs, and watch my weight drop by about 8lbs which also makes me feel fitter,less bloated, so this yr I`m (day 4) ditching the choclate,crisps etc, and will take some of your recommendations into account, love eggs,fish etc,, are potatoes a no go too?

You know I'm on it and it really is good... I've slipped over Xmas but will be paleo on Sunday after party time is over (I'm sat here eating crisps as drinking beer!). As long as you stay in ketosis it's cool...

Your DVDs should be there soon mate :)

Hey Ben have you been on that Keto Diet since I first met you ? I can remember you being on and off it at least 3 / 4 years ago ? All the best :001_smile: